2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching this, but I didn't seem to find the answer I was looking for. I'm a complete newb at this, so I just want to clear everything up. My 2012 Skyactiv HB will be a daily driver ONLY. I live in a place where it's snowy/icy 8 months out of the year. I don't track, race, auto-x, or do anything to where more expensive coilovers would be more beneficial to me. That being said, I'm not sure whether I need lowering springs, or coilovers.

From what I understand with lowering springs, the stock struts can't take the extra load the shorter springs put on them. That, and when it comes to aesthetics, coilovers just pull off the lowered look better. Not to mention the added handling and responsiveness. That leans me more toward the coilover route.

I've been reading up on Raceland coilovers, and I've been reading so many mixed reviews, that I don't know what to think about them. I've read Warlord's review on them. Not to discredit him or anything, but one review on our 3's just isn't enough to turn me towards/away from them. I suppose my main question on them is if they are better than or even equivalent to stock in terms of performance. As I said, I'm 100% dailying my ride, so I'm pretty inclined towards the Racelands. Unless, of course, they are worse than stock.

I'm not sure if I'm getting what I need to out, my main questions are:

Should I get coilovers or just springs?
Whether I get springs or coilovers, which would be best for daily driving?
I just want to get rid of the SUV gap, without making the handling worse.

Again, if this is already addressed in another thread, I apologize in advance for re-posting.
Thanks for reading

-TANK

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
pick whichever spring depending on how much you want to lower (Racing Beat/Eibach/Road Magnet/etc), mate them to koni struts and done.

My skyactiv is my daily and it's on eibach pro kit with koni str.t struts. rides firmer than stock, with less wheel gap. Perfect for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah definitely don't get racelands...

You don't need coilovers, like the post above me says, just pick the spring that gives you the height you want, and get some Koni Yellows where you can adjust the dampening to how you like. Koni Yellows+Springs will give you a exponentially better ride than raceland coils ever will, and I think they will also give you a better ride than BCs and other entry level coilovers around $1000

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan. I'm assuming the spring/koni combo would be the same difficulty level as installing coilovers?

·
Registered
192 Posts
its a little harder because with a coilover you just take out the entire strut assembly and replace it with the coilover...

but with the spring/koni you gotta compress the spring and put it on the koni struts, and then swap that whole combo out with the stock one. It not THAT much more work, but its a pain nonetheless

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'm a lot happier with H&R coilovers that I was with any of the numerous spring and shock combinations I tried which included Koni yellow shocks and Roadmagnet and Eibach springs.. If your going to keep the car for a while you can justify the price of coilovers.

About the Raceland coilovers. Mine were the first batch that were delivered to the U.S. They had bad seals and they made horrendous knocking noises. Aside from that I would have taken them off my car sooner that later anyway. The ride was very soft and the handling was very unstable IMO. I had no confidence going fast. Car felt very unsteady and kinda wobbly for lack of a better word. My H&R are 100% better than the Raceland. I have no complaints about the H&R and haven't found anything that I don't like about them. That's saying something right there because I look for the faults in everything. H&R was $1150 well spent IMO.

Reactions: entrops

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Racelands for DD might be fine if you are looking for something cheap but I sure wouldn't take them if it was me. I'd spend the money for springs/shocks/struts or buy BCs or KWs for coils.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Why you don't like H&R? They're made by Bilstein. They're stainless steel and they are mono tube inverted pistons which are more resistant to side loading than either KW or BC. The reason the Raceland sucked so bad is that McPherson struts receive a ton of side load to the pistons and the crap Chinese seals couldn't handle it. Most likely the reason people with BC complain about knock noise and just live with it. H&R are way underrated for what you get. I don't get it why people wouldn't spent a hundred more and buy German quality than get Taiwan quality.
My H&R are dead silent and i have never felt the need for rebound adjustment . They do everything well. Comfortable ride, good handling. Even solved some of the MS3 quirks like no more squat on hard launches and I don't have as much torque steer either. Seriously underrated coilovers IMO.,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...nverted-struts-over-regular-onesi-15850.html?

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-susp...318-question-inverted-vs-standard-shocks.html

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-ti...ck/265375-what-advantage-inverted-struts.html

Reactions: tnax408 and entrops

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I've DD'd on a set of 1.25" Road Magnet springs and OEM struts for about a year and a half now. I've also done many auto-x's and mountain runs on them and they are still going strong. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Best coilovers for daily driving on our cars is without a doubt H&Rs...everything is just built at a higher grade and that really translates to the ride quality. But of course, they are also one of the priciest coils you can get for our car

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Why you don't like H&R? They're made by Bilstein. They're stainless steel and they are mono tube inverted pistons which are more resistant to side loading than either KW or BC. The reason the Raceland sucked so bad is that McPherson struts receive a ton of side load to the pistons and the crap Chinese seals couldn't handle it. Most likely the reason people with BC complain about knock noise and just live with it. H&R are way underrated for what you get. I don't get it why people wouldn't spent a hundred more and buy German quality than get Taiwan quality.
My H&R are dead silent and i have never felt the need for rebound adjustment . They do everything well. Comfortable ride, good handling. Even solved some of the MS3 quirks like no more squat on hard launches and I don't have as much torque steer either. Seriously underrated coilovers IMO.,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...nverted-struts-over-regular-onesi-15850.html?

Question on inverted vs. standard shocks - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

What advantage is inverted struts? - evolutionm.net
Never did say I didn't like H&R coils. They are very nice buy pricy. I was naming cheaper, decent coils. For my car when I actually buy coils I'll be getting ksports/cs/h&rs.. will be a hard choice... all look to be great quality and good prices for the excellent quality. For a DD decent coils as I said BC or KWs are nice along with Tein are reasonable price.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Never did say I didn't like H&R coils. They are very nice buy pricy. I was naming cheaper, decent coils. For my car when I actually buy coils I'll be getting ksports/cs/h&rs.. will be a hard choice... all look to be great quality and good prices for the excellent quality. For a DD decent coils as I said BC or KWs are nice along with Tein are reasonable price.
where are you finding KWs cheaper than H&Rs? Tire Rack has KW V1s at about $300 more than H&Rs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
KW V1s are exactly the same as ST Coilovers except KW V1s are made from a stainless steel which is better at preventing rust than the galvanized steel they use to make ST Coilovers. So if you live in a pretty dry area, they will be exactly the same

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the replies. I've been doing a lot of research, and I think it might be best to go big or go home. Does anyone here have the CorkSport coilovers? Any reviews or testament to these? Are they worth the $1,600?

I'm about to start saving up for coilovers now.
My choices are going to be between CorkSport, H&R, KW, ST, or KSport.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies. I've been doing a lot of research, and I think it might be best to go big or go home. Does anyone here have the CorkSport coilovers? Any reviews or testament to these? Are they worth the $1,600?

I'm about to start saving up for coilovers now.
My choices are going to be between CorkSport, H&R, KW, ST, or KSport.
Haven't seen one thing about the corksport coilovers on people's rides, but the design seems quality.

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
I feel ur last 3 options seem all the same on paper. I've heard kW s are too stiff for peoples liking. Out of the ones u mentioned h&r seems to be ur best options. Tried and tested. Established company trusted name. But that inflates price too. BC coils seem to be the favorite around here. Unless St is suspension techniques they aren't bad. But heard bad of kW and ksport. I've heard it refered to as the eBay coilover

1 - 20 of 75 Posts