2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the auditd0rk
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one week with the new wheels (18x7.5 5Zigen ZR+) I have one that is bent. I don't recall hitting a pothole and I'm usually quite careful when driving, but nonetheless one is bent pretty well.

The day after having the wheels and tires mounted I checked the tire pressure and found all 4 tires at 29-30 pounds each. Not only is the below Mazda's recommended tire pressure, but it seems rather low for 40-series tires. I immediately increased the pressure to 36 front and 35 rear and have managed not to damage any of the other wheels. I have Yokohama 225/40-R18 S-Drives and presume they are good tires that will protect the wheel.

Is it possible to bend a wheel through "normal" driving, hitting typical bumps with an underinflated low-profile tire? I was told the wheels are stronger than stock wheels and am now paranoid about bending any others.

Thanks

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Noo! Man, that stinks. I assume it is possible to bend a wheel if the tire is under-inflated. It's never happened on any of my cars though and the roads here are terrible. You'd have to hit a pretty big pothole. That's very strange. Good news is there are usually shops around that will bend it back for $70-80 if the finish isn't damaged.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If it's new it should still be under warranty.

BeEvil

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
If it's new it should still be under warranty.

BeEvil
On his aftermarket wheels? I guess if there is some kind of roadhazard warranty on them (does that even exist?). Usually manufacturer's warranties only cover defects.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wheel. There is no way you would have bent your wheel without knowing it.
5Zigen is a reputable wheel maunfacturer and they build quality stuff. Are the wheels new or did you carry them over from another vehicle?

·
the auditd0rk
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're brand new. Discount Tire is going to call tomorrow to see if 5Zigen will replace it under warranty. Seriously, though, I don't recall hitting anything that I think would bend the inside edge of the wheel. Colorado Springs has crappy roads and I've always been careful. Oh well, chalk this under sh1t happens.

·
the auditd0rk
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got a call from Discount... 5Zigen will replace the wheel. Very happy, but still going to be paranoid about bending any others.

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Sorry for what happened

Sorry man, that just blows, especially on new rims...
I did bend one of the rims I had on my old car, but I hit a pothole so big (night time) that I destroyed 2 tires and I had to change a halfshaft seal...
And the rim just had a tiny ding, in fact I kept using it with no problems...
Does anybody else use your car?
If you keep the pressure around those values however, you should be pretty safe. Perhaps not on a pothole like the one I hit, but certainly on anything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts