2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start driving after stopped at a light, I can feel short of wobble. I'm starting to think I bent a wheel or wheels somehow. Is there a way to find out if I bent it without taking it to a specialty shop?

I did get them balanced after I mounted them so I don't think that's the issue.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It is possible that one of the weights fell off, it has happened to me. Do you feel the wobble only from starting from rest? Do you feel it at higher speeds? I had a bent wheel on my eclipse way back in the day, and right around 65 mph my steering wheel would go nuts. it would go away around 75 tho.

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
When I start driving after stopped at a light, I can feel short of wobble. I'm starting to think I bent a wheel or wheels somehow. Is there a way to find out if I bent it without taking it to a specialty shop?

I did get them balanced after I mounted them so I don't think that's the issue.
Take it off and look you should be able to tell

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible that one of the weights fell off, it has happened to me. Do you feel the wobble only from starting from rest? Do you feel it at higher speeds? I had a bent wheel on my eclipse way back in the day, and right around 65 mph my steering wheel would go nuts. it would go away around 75 tho.
Yea when is start moving I can feel it and I can feel it a little at high speeds like 55-60mph. It's the most noticeable around 30-40mph. I don't feel anything in my steering wheel, just the whole car seems to wobble.

Take it off and look you should be able to tell
ok I'll try to do that tomorrow haha I really need to get a real jack. The spare tire one takes me so long haha

·
Registered
641 Posts
ok I'll try to do that tomorrow haha I really need to get a real jack. The spare tire one takes me so long haha
Yeah, but it's really good for a forearms workout! :yes:
Chicks dig forearms!

·
Registered
750 Posts
A thrown weight should be pretty obvious as there will be a marking from the adhesive. I'd dissagree on the bend wheel being obvious. I've owned previous cars where I had a bent wheel that you could not tell by looking at it. It just felt like an out of balance tire. The dealer had to spin the wheel by itself without a tire in order to figure it out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
bent wheel on the back wouldn't cause the steering wheel to shake right?
Correct. It will still vibrate enough you will feel/hear it at certain speeds. It is much harder to detect.

If you are suspicious it is a wheel in the rear, rotate the wheels around (if your tires will permit it) and see what happens.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If the vibration is more prominent at low speeds, it is likely a mild tire tread separation. I would also recommend checking your tire pressure. Make sure all tires are set to the manufacturer recommended pressures. Low tire pressure can also cause such an issue.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea im gonna try rotating the wheels.. they are directional so it'll be front to back only haha. Maybe I'll slap on my stock rims in place of one and drive around and try to eliminate it that way? either way.. i just want the shaking to be gone.. really annoying -.- haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts