2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly what the post title says. Can I run an 18x 8.5 +35mm offset with 235/40/18 tires without rubbing/scraping on stock suspension?

I'm looking at AVID1 AV26 rims in Hyper Black for a gunmetal grey '21 HB. I know 215/45 will fit, stretched, but I want to run a bigger tire.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You won't on suspension but would likely rub rear fenders. 8.5 et40up should be good.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium polymetal gray over red/blk
516 Posts
Would a 225/45/18 work then? I see a handful of people running them
That's what I have on the stock wheels. Plenty of clearance all round. Get the right tire ( almost anything is better than stock) and improve ride, handling, noise.
Don't know about 8.5s& 35 mm offset though. I think too much wheel well protrusion, with about an inch and a third or 34mm extra at the tire sidewall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fitment Industries / Custom Offset has all sorts of people running 19x8.5 with 235/35/19 tires and no scrub, but a lot of them are lowered. I can't imagine that 235/40 would cause an issue with a stock height car?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Fitment Industries / Custom Offset has all sorts of people running 19x8.5 with 235/35/19 tires and no scrub, but a lot of them are lowered. I can't imagine that 235/40 would cause an issue with a stock height car?
I have 235/40/18s, but on 8" rims and stock height. 45 offset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hope the bend was a one time thing for you.
I finally gave up, after bending rims/bubbling tires every 2 months (lol). Tried forged rims, different size tires, but the 18s just did not get along with my local potholes.
Gave up and went with 17s.
If I lived in a good road state, I'd have probably stayed with 18s, but couldn't afford the constant damage here.
The comfort/noise reduction was a huge side benefit as well. Minimal change to the handling for me, but I save serious "go fast time" for my motorcycle.
No issues year+ later (knock on wood).
Used these:
215/50 R17 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II.
Same diameter as the stock 18s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope the bend was a one time thing for you.
I finally gave up, after bending rims/bubbling tires every 2 months (lol). Tried forged rims, different size tires, but the 18s just did not get along with my local potholes.
Gave up and went with 17s.
If I lived in a good road state, I'd have probably stayed with 18s, but couldn't afford the constant damage here.
The comfort/noise reduction was a huge side benefit as well. Minimal change to the handling for me, but I save serious "go fast time" for my motorcycle.
No issues year+ later (knock on wood).
Used these:
215/50 R17 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II.
Same diameter as the stock 18s.
I bought a set of Enkei T6S black 18x8 +35 rims and a set of Continental ExtremeContact 235/40/18 tires. No rub or scrub. Looks good. Alot quiter than stock. The roads in NWFL aren't God awful, but I hope it was a one off. Some idiot was in my lane and I came off the road to avoid him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts