2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I've been putting off joining a forum for my car for a bit now, but now I figure it's time.

In June, I traded in my 1998 Dodge Durango for a 2014 Mazda3 Touring. I would have gone GT but I really wanted to get back to driving a manual transmission and it was a shame they only offered it on the Touring 2.0L.

So far, 3,500 miles and I'm enjoying every bit of it. Might sound crazy to some but the way this car behaves on the road reminds me of my '78 Datsun 280Z. I'll probably be on here looking around for ways to add a bit more "bite" to the car without affecting my warranty. The way it is now is perfect for what I apply it for, but the car is a bit on the quiet side (coming from a Durango with 3" pipes and an '89 Trans Am with straight pipes).

Anyway, here are pics. Enjoy, and I hope you guys dig the ride!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey all,

In June, I traded in my 1998 Dodge Durango for a 2014 Mazda3 Touring 2.0L.

So far, 3,500 miles and I'm enjoying every bit of it. Might sound crazy to some but the way this car behaves on the road reminds me of my '78 Datsun 280Z. I'll probably be on here looking around for ways to add a bit more "bite" to the car without affecting my warranty. The way it is now is perfect for what I apply it for, but the car is a bit on the quiet side (coming from a Durango with 3" pipes and an '89 Trans Am with straight pipes).

Anyway, here are pics. Enjoy, and I hope you guys dig the ride!

/QUOTE]

Great color, notice you are parking far away from the other cars too. Nice!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've had it for 3,540 miles and it still looks new! I wash it everyday when I get to work before parking it and when the pollen is heavy, I run it through the wash again before going home. I might have it detailed at 5,000 before the scheduled oil change.

As of now I'm looking around for a decently used catback and maybe a set of the 18" wheels to finish it up....thing is I don't know if it will affect the acceleration of the 2.0 engine because I'm pretty sure that's why the i-Grand Touring didn't have them. Don't wanna go too crazy and ruin my warranty lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome!! Great color and I was looking at getting the I-GT but I really wanted the HUD and the 2.5.. cant wait to see updates with the 18's if you go that route!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if I do find a used set of stock 18" wheels I will put up an update! I drive my car pretty hard and take full advantage of its sporty nature! At mid apex, I do notice the car tends to understeer a little and I'm thinking it's because of sidewall flex due to the high profile tire and the 16" wheels which is why I'm thinking an 18" wheel would minimize that but the unknown factor is how the 2.0 would take it.

Also, does anyone know anybody selling a used catback for this car? I know it's a bit new to look for something like this so I'm hoping maybe someone bought a system and ended up not liking it.

Also anything I learn I can use to help me better sell these vehicles as well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nice car... I did the same change going from a truck to a Black 3 GS manual and loving it. I thought about waiting for the manual with the 2.5 but there are some things I prefer on the GS over the GT and I'm happy with the choice ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
At mid apex, I do notice the car tends to understeer a little and I'm thinking it's because of sidewall flex due to the high profile tire and the 16" wheels which is why I'm thinking an 18" wheel would minimize that but the unknown factor is how the 2.0 would take it.
Most of the folks around here fix the under steer problem by upgrading the rear sway bar. Under steer is a common "safety" feature manufacturers design in to front wheel drive cars. Do a search and you'll find several days worth of reading on the subject.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but suspension components are under warranty. I wouldn't touch that until the warranty wears off lol. Guess I'll have to live with it until then...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, but suspension components are under warranty. I wouldn't touch that until the warranty wears off lol. Guess I'll have to live with it until then...
I have the extended warranty on my ride. It feels like golden handcuffs. A new RSB would not be covered, obviously, but should have little impact on other covered items. Those who have made the change are thrilled that they did.

If you want to minimize understeer using your wheel/tire setup there are perhaps 2 options. 1) go with a wider rim up front than in back and use the same tire (except for the size) on all 4 wheels. Or 2) put stickier rubber up front than on the back. Option 2 may be better since it allows for the same rims on all 4. If you simply upgrade with the same wheel/tire combo all the way around you will just have the same understeer at higher g's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the extended warranty on my ride. It feels golden handcuffs. A new RSB would not be covered, obviously, but should have little impact on other covered items. Those who have made the change are thrilled that they did.

If you want to minimize understeer using your wheel/tire setup there are perhaps 2 options. 1) go with a wider rim up front than in back and use the same tire (except for the size) on all 4 wheels. Or 2) put stickier rubber up front than on the back. Option 2 may be better since it allows for the same rims on all 4. If you simply upgrade with the same wheel/tire combo all the way around you will just have the same understeer at higher g's.
Yeah, but I'm not looking at 1.2 g's at corners lol. I figured that if I'm understeering at 65-70mph mid apex for example, an 18" wheel with the stock Dunlop sports would make it understeer at 75-80mph instead.

I spoke with the service manager at work today and he said that warranties aren't really voided, but won't cover anything affected by an aftermarket mod. For example, if my power windows stopped working and I have a corksport exhaust, it's covered. If I blew my differential and I have race slicks on, that's another story....

So yeah, maybe a rear sway bar might be up my alley as well as a racing beat exhaust. As for tires and wheels, I'm gonna try and stay close to OEM. I just figured the dark alloy 18" wheels would go great with the Jet Black Mica. Maybe I can also get black exhaust tips and yellow fog lights lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So yeah, maybe a rear sway bar might be up my alley as well as a racing beat exhaust. As for tires and wheels, I'm gonna try and stay close to OEM. I just figured the dark alloy 18" wheels would go great with the Jet Black Mica.
I think the combination of upgraded RSB, wheels and tires will give you just what you are looking for. That seems to be the most bang for your buck. These are on my list of things to do. Lowering springs would be next but I am probably not going that route. I commute on rural back roads daily and have to be able to straddle road kill and tree debris, clear high water and survive potholes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I figured that's what I'm probably gonna do. While the lowering springs on the corksport website are at a tempting price, I don't want to go too crazy. At the same time I live in Rhode Island, which is not the best place to have a lowered car. On top of that, I like the suspension travel it currently has. I feel as if I lower the car any more I might scrape something. I had that issue with my 300ZX.

I work at a dealer so I can actually fetch the wheels and tires at a nice price.

It's also a lease and I know a lot of people are asking me "WHY?" I spoke with my manager and my service manager; as long as it's back to stock form when I turn in it I'm good. Then I'll probably sell the parts here and pass it on to everyone and probably keep the 18" for winter tires. Then I'll put myself in a 2017 Mazdaspeed3 and will keep that stock lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts