2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy some coilovers for my 16 SGT hatch. Having never had a set on a vehicle before I wouldn't know the difference in good or bad ones other than reviews. I've seen plenty of reviews about BC, but nothing on the JBR ones. Any opinions?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,187 Posts
What are your plans for the car? Daily driver, commuter, future mods etc? You might want to plan out a few things before spending a bunch on a setup you may need to change out later.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on H&R springs currently, 18" TSW Nurburgrings, Progress RSB. I'm thinking of going a bit lower with TSW Watkins in 19". The car's a daily driver. Mostly commuter

·
Super Moderator
5,187 Posts
I'd do some measuring first. Some coilovers can make fitting wide tires problematic. These cars were not designed for coilovers, and as such there is not a whole lot of clearance between the shock and tire. If the ride height and tire/wheel combo are such that you need to add some camber to keep from rubbing, the added diameter of the coilovers combined with additional tire width can make fitment difficult.
That being said, a good coilover is the way to go if lowering the car a lot. Stock spring rates won't work well when lowered. You'll need spring rates at least double factory rates or you'll be riding on the bump stops more often than not, making for a horrible ride. There is a wide selection of springs out there to pick and choose from. You'll also need good shocks valved to match the spring rates or you will be bouncing all over the place. Get it right and the car will handle great with decent ride characteristics. It won't be OEM but fairly good.
Before you buy coilovers, do your homework. Check spring rates. Be sure they are appropriate for the car. Find out if the shocks have sufficient damping (both rebound and compression) for the springs and if the range of adjustment is sufficient and broad enough to be useful. Buying the wrong suspension parts can be an expensive mistake, and not all are created equal.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
I've been through 3 different sets of coilovers, before going on air suspension.

It's going to save you a lot of time and headaches to do a LOT of research first.

Measure 195472957 times, and cut once - as they say.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been through 3 different sets of coilovers, before going on air suspension.

It's going to save you a lot of time and headaches to do a LOT of research first.

Measure 195472957 times, and cut once - as they say.
Which sets were you on? What were the pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had my BC Coilovers for over a year.

The things I like:
Adjustable Dampening - Surprisingly there is a huge difference between the hard and soft settings. Hard really handles well but is a nightmare for daily driving, soft provides enough comfort that I can still drive long distances and handle rough road with no problem.

It is easy to access and make changes to ride height/dampening. Another pro is if you have any problems, you can get any single part which makes a fix more affordable. Definitely feel like I got my money worth for under 1k.

Cons would be it takes a little while to dial in the coilover to the setting you will prefer. I have had to make multiple adjustments in the first few months because of some settling in the ride. Not the easiest install if you are going to do it yourself.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts

BC BR's, then converted to Super Lows

BC BR's converted to RM's

RS*R's

Honestly, the BC's were the best built - and I would run BC's again in a heart beat. They fixed my issue - it did take some time and hassle, but once it was fixed, no further problems. Each had their pros and cons, but the first is to figure out what you're looking for...

·
Registered
140 Posts

so did you end up buying a set of coilovers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts