2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Mazda3 battery was dying a slow death ever since the dealer left it out in the cold (-30 for 2 days) and I noticed it was getting hard to start in the cold weather. It was only a bit beforehand but since then any colder day it struggles much more than last year. A friend tested it and said it's about due for a change. They recommended the MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries | Canadian Tire with the specs below.

soooo....I went and bought it and much against my better judgment had them (CT) install it. They said they used a tray/riser for it to fit properly After researching I've read multiple "wrong battery" with various car batteries and despite Canadian Tire looking it up (and me beforehand) I'm now paranoid it may be.

Based on the below specs and car model is this okay for my vehicle? 2015 Mazda 3 GS (VIN reads as i-Touring when entering it)

Does anyone know?

Specs:
Part Number ELU35/85
20 amp hour rate 50
Battery Electrolyte Composition Glass Mat
Battery End Type Top Post
Battery Purpose Starting Lighting Instrumentation
BCI Group Size 35/85
CA at 32 degrees F 755
CCA at 0 degrees F 640
Freight Class 65
Polarity Right Positive
Reserve Capacity 100
Terminal Type DIN
Voltage 12

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks like the 3 takes a group 35 and that's what they sold you. Not sure why it would need a riser to fit properly, group 35 should be same case size no matter the brand or technology. I have seen some Odyssey and other higher end batteries have extra plastic molding crap that gets in the way sometimes.

Agm batteries are typically a better choice as they will have higher cca and rc ratings compared to a regular lead acid as well as being more durable and supposedly longer lasting.

Even if someone stuck the wrong size 12v lead acid battery with similar cca to oem you should be fine as long as it's secured properly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
higher cca is pretty much always better within the same type of battery - get the same technology or better than oem

lead acid < agm and gel

if your vehicle has non oem added power requirements you may want to get a battery intended for deeper cycling (like yellow top or blue top optimas, or odyssey gel cells, or the multitude of agm styles available now)

usually vehicles with start stop systems and luxury cars with craploads of electrics will come oem with agm batteries that are better suited for those jobs

·
Registered
109 Posts
did a little more looking, looks like a group 85 is nearly the same length and width but about 20mm shorter than a group 35

i think they sell these as a combo 35/85 part number lots of places and thats why they come with a riser tray to make the shorter battery fit where a 35 might have gone

depending on hold down method you can sometimes just adjust the hold down for the shorter battery, or use the riser

there shouldn't be any problem doing using a riser

1 - 6 of 6 Posts