2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 3 since last August and have never had this problem. Over the last couple days I kept randomly seeing a red flash coming from my cluster. This morning was quite a bit cooler than it has been for about 2 weeks. I hit my brakes for a stoplight and my battery light came on for about 3 seconds and then turned off when I had come to a stop. I have nothing aftermarket draining the battery. I went around my block again just to see if it was a fluke and sure enough it came on every time that I hit the brake. The car has less than 20k on it and still has the factory battery. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I know that the factory batteries are not very strong. I can't remember the exact cold-cranking amps, but it seemed low compared to what aftermarket batteries produce. That being said, your battery might be low, or dying/dead.

I would double check your center counsel and make sure nothing is plug in. The power port inside the center counsel never turns off and uses electrical power even when the vehicle is turned off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the center console stays on. I had an iPod charger plugged in but my iPod wasn't. I unplugged it and will check after work.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
check your battery connections. If any of them are loose and the battery or cables shift during... say... hard braking, it could cause the battery light to come on. Last august isn't very long. I've had mine since december of 2009. My battery has been a champ so far. If yours is pooped out, get it replaced under warranty and have them check your alternator while they are at it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing I checked was my connections. They were good. I've never had to top off a battery before. It has less thann20k on it and less than a year. Granted it is a 2010 (not. 5) so it sat for a while but a battery shouldn't be bad this fast.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well, if you look at the battery there are 2 lines. Top line is max and the bottom line is the minimum. I looked at mine about a month ago, and it is closer to the bottom line than the top. I haven't refilled it yet with distilled water because I plan on switching the battery out with a maintenance-free battery. Probably a red top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts