2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past two days I've been getting the "battery management system malfunction" warning in my 2014 sGT with 38,300 miles. The car does have i-ELOOP.

From what I am reading, the i-ELOOP cars require a special battery (Q85 deep cycle) - for $500 - available only from Mazda and only by special order. However, I kept digging into this and it seems that this battery is necessary only for cars with iStop, which of course we do not have here in the USA. It even says "for stop/start" on the side of my car's OEM battery.

Is it really necessary to special order the $500 battery even without the stop/start feature?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, I did that. However, now the safety systems screen in the infotainment screen is grayed out. All the systems are working but the options to turn them on/off or adjust settings are not selectable.

EDIT - RESOLVED - all back online after it sat for 15 minutes and I restarted.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is it really necessary to special order the $500 battery even without the stop/start feature?
Yes, systems like i-eLoop need a special kind of battery that can be charged and discharged more and faster than a regular one. They didn't put that battery in there for nothing. But in my research on this, it seems that the Q85 is just a deep-cycle AGM battery that's the same size as the regular battery in this car, so it seems like you should be able to use an Optima Yellow-Top battery instead. My local Autozone sells these for $220, as well as an Autozone-branded Duralast AGM battery for $190. These AGM batteries seem to be becoming much more common because more and more cars come with these start/stop systems, and also have a lot of electrical accessories (like electric power steering). However, I can't seem to find any accounts of people actually using an Optima or other non-OEM AGM battery in a Mazda with i-eLoop, so there's no guarantees this will work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same warning light coming up on my 2014 sGT with ieloop.
Has anyone else confirmed any AGM battery would replace the Q85 battery?
If yes, which brand/model do you recommend?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same warning light coming up on my 2014 sGT with ieloop.
Has anyone else confirmed any AGM battery would replace the Q85 battery?
If yes, which brand/model do you recommend?
Any decent brand AGM will work Century/Yuasa, Optima or Bosch.

AGM is a better performing and quality battery, Q85 are just "enhanced" flooded lead acid

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the past two days I've been getting the "battery management system malfunction" warning in my 2014 sGT with 38,300 miles. The car does have i-ELOOP.

From what I am reading, the i-ELOOP cars require a special battery (Q85 deep cycle) - for $500 - available only from Mazda and only by special order. However, I kept digging into this and it seems that this battery is necessary only for cars with iStop, which of course we do not have here in the USA. It even says "for stop/start" on the side of my car's OEM battery.

My experience with my 2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback GT.
I got the dreaded battery mgmt. light in early 2017. It was still under warranty and had the battery replaced. Just recently (Nov. 2019) the light came on again. I took it to the Mazda dealer in Marietta GA. Since the battery has a 36 month warranty they replaced it for no cost. I just hope this one lasts longer than the other 2 or that it fails within the 36 month warranty period. The batteries cost around $460.00 not including labor. Normally I would have just replaced it myself but certain systems must be reset and I don't want to jeopardize the battery warranty. I would like to hear from others what experiences they have had with this common problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't have this eloop system, but from where I sit it seems like way more trouble than it's worth. Do you guys see any real world benefit to it? I'm just curious, not trying to bash it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
X2 battery from batteries plus. Use the online coupon store pickup etc. It's not 500 bucks (300 something) and it comes with a 5 year replacement warranty.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Same battery 1 year less warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have this eloop system, but from where I sit it seems like way more trouble than it's worth. Do you guys see any real world benefit to it? I'm just curious, not trying to bash it.
No benefit. The service rep at my Mazda dealership said at best it may improve gas mileage by 1 mile per gallon. Even if it were 2 or 3 mpg it's a net loss over the life of the car. The batteries cost so much and don't seem to last more than 2 or 3 years that the money you pay out on batteries far exceeds any puny savings in gas mileage. That's my only gripe about my Mazda 3. And they did correct that by scrapping the system on future models. I still love my Mazda 3. Over the 4 years I owned it the only repair I paid for was the sunroof switch.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,251 Posts
Here's some extra info for people with I-ELoop battery replacement procedure and additional info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts