2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't recall if it is a 2032 and 2015 battery but it can be easily replaced. Available at any drug store or even cheaper from amazon if you don't mind buying more than a few. You won't need to reprogram the fob.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Know a omeone who replaced the battery while the fob was on a metal top of his tool box. A static discharge occurred, frying his fob. Suggest you do take apart your fob/replace the battery, while the fob is on top of some non-conductive material.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't recall if it is a 2032 and 2015 battery but it can be easily replaced. Available at any drug store or even cheaper from amazon if you don't mind buying more than a few. You won't need to reprogram the fob.
thx. bought a 2032.
when I opened the fob, it was a 2025.

same 3v lithium but the 2032 is slightly thicker and holds more charge.
so will last longer than the 2025.

closed fine.
works fine.
thx!

·
Registered
19 Posts
How often are you guys finding these need to be replaced? Seems mine only made it 2 1/2 years. Had a 2001 Saturn that I think I replace the fob battery twice in the 14 years that I owned it.

I'm guessing it needs more juice then just for locking/unlocking the door?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My first fob battery started going about a month or two ago. I just switched fobs with my spare, but it was almost 2 years for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So mine started to intermittently? not be able to start the car with push start button and have to use the RFID tag to start the car. The lock and unlock buttons work just fine.

Is this a battery issue? I made the mistake of going for a run with the keys in my pocket so it was jingling for about an hour then the problem started.

How do you open the fob? I do not feel comfortable prying it open and risk breaking it. Or would something like this be covered by warranty? I've had the car for about a year and a half - 2015 model.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Do these key fob batteries last longer if you press the open door demand button rather than press the button on the key fob which will transmit an RF signal?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just replaced the battery in my fob for my 2014 3, and i never use it (DEI alarm fob user). Seems the consensus is to replace every 2 years to avoid issues.

2025 is what it should be replaced with.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Reactions: rgs

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced my key fob battery with a 2032 (because I had one lying around). Sounds like no one REALLY knows for sure whether or not the 2032 (or any other alternate sizes) will damage the fob. Are there any engineers that can settle this once and for all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ones on our Miata went just recently. Bought it last December. Of course, don't know how old the batteries were at that time, but the miata.net forum guys says they only last about a year.

Think ours for the 3 are still working from buying the car a year ago September. Don't recall having to stick the fob up against the start button to start it. Had to take the key out of the end of the fob on the Miata to start it and open trunk and doors.

We always use the buttons on the doors and the trunk lid or the inside trunk button rather than the fob. Never touch the fobs any more.

Ralph

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just replaced my key fob battery with a 2032 (because I had one lying around). Sounds like no one REALLY knows for sure whether or not the 2032 (or any other alternate sizes) will damage the fob. Are there any engineers that can settle this once and for all?

Thanks!
2032 is .7mm thicker (20 - 20mm diameter, 32 - 3.2mm thick) - will this cause any fitment issues in the battery holder? doubtful

2032 typically ~225 mah, 2025 is ~165 mah - thats a decent increase in run time when u consider these cells are usually the same price regardless of size (2016/2025/2032)

dont stack 2 2016s - this will double your voltage and likely harm the fob

·
Registered
661 Posts
2032 is .7mm thicker (20 - 20mm diameter, 32 - 3.2mm thick) - will this cause any fitment issues in the battery holder? doubtful

2032 typically ~225 mah, 2025 is ~165 mah - thats a decent increase in run time when u consider these cells are usually the same price regardless of size (2016/2025/2032)

dont stack 2 2016s - this will double your voltage and likely harm the fob
That post suggests the 2032 is a better choice due to improved capacity provided the extra height doesn't strain & damage the battery compartment.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bump!

The time has come once again to switch the battery on my key fob and:

- I tried fitting a 2032 battery, as per my experience you need to squeeze it very hard to make it fit which can lead to damage the housing or high stress in the area.

-It won't sit flush without the battery cover, and even if you put the battery cover on top it will still stick out a bit.

-I would stick with a 2025 battery to avoid any issues and in order to avoid damaging the housing.

Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts