2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mazda Fresher
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.

Several years ago, I did a procedure that was called a "bafflectomy" on my Kawasaki Concours which give the same level of noise at cruising along but extra exhaust feedback during harder acceleration.

So I'm curious (and cheap). Has anyone tried to do this with the stock 2014+ M3 exhaust?

The procedure would likely have to be different since I went through the tailpipe on my motorcycle and that won't work with the curved tips of the Mazda exhaust. I would assume having to drop the front flange and drill from there with a 1-2" metal hole saw. I haven't seen anyone do a cutaway of the stock exhaust to know where the baffle placement is.

There's my thought, but....has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks!
--ben

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,273 Posts
Hey there.

Several years ago, I did a procedure that was called a "bafflectomy" on my Kawasaki Concours which give the same level of noise at cruising along but extra exhaust feedback during harder acceleration.

So I'm curious (and cheap). Has anyone tried to do this with the stock 2014+ M3 exhaust?

The procedure would likely have to be different since I went through the tailpipe on my motorcycle and that won't work with the curved tips of the Mazda exhaust. I would assume having to drop the front flange and drill from there with a 1-2" metal hole saw. I haven't seen anyone do a cutaway of the stock exhaust to know where the baffle placement is.

There's my thought, but....has anyone tried it yet?

Is it a hole drilled for releasing exhaust gases prior to the muffler?

·
Mazda Fresher
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ideally, it would be just dropping the front flange, taking a metal hole saw with extension into the muffler input, and putting a hole in the internal baffles. I'd think 20 minutes tops.

·
Registered
190 Posts
my two cents
doing this will introduce more turbulence within the muffler and have a negative impact in performance.
They used to do this in the old aircooled porsche days but they were also adding center exits to provide better flow.
For the time and money you'd be better off having a new axle back made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts