2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Mazda 3 2.5 6spd, (40,000miles) So, on a 4 hour trip after just filling up with gas I revved the engine while on the highway. The car sputtered and almost went in to a type of limp mode. It wouldn’t rev past about 2500rpm and the check engine light came on. Below are the codes:

I ended up driving with the hazard lights on to the next gas station, about 20 miles. I put some octane boost in it and topped off with almost 3 gallons of premium. The car drove all the way home, another 200 miles. I didn’t push it hard, but I did rev it a couple of times and it seemed to be Ok. I cleared the codes and as of yet they haven’t come back. With such low mileage my hope is I just got some bad gas. I’m thinking the bottom code is just from me revving the engine because it usually only comes up with AT’s.
Anyway, has anyone had a similar experience? I can take my fuel rail pressure sensor out and clean it, or buy a new one but it just seems unlikely it would fail with under 40k miles on the car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't see how bad gas will cause high rail pressures. Was the gas cap on properly after the first fill? I've got an MB where a leaking gas cap causes all kinds of fuel system management alarms.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the gas cap, I have had issues with it before. It wasn’t sealing properly. I put some silicone lubricant on the gasket and that seemed to fix it. I don’t understand how that would be related, but a gas cap is cheap so I guess I can replace it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As far as the gas cap, I have had issues with it before. It wasn’t sealing properly. I put some silicone lubricant on the gasket and that seemed to fix it. I don’t understand how that would be related, but a gas cap is cheap so I guess I can replace it.
Don't know if it will fix your problem, but in my MB the car checks the gas cap for leaks as part of checking the fuel system for emissions compliance. The gas cap leaking raises all kinds of seemingly unrelated faults.
As you say, they're cheap and better than driving home in limp mode.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t know what MB stands for. But I plan on changing the gas cap. I really hope that’s what it is. After owning a Murano my faith in cars built in Japan has waned a bit.

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
OK That is about enough.....Crap removed, now stay on topic or this thread is closed.....

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
No, right thread. Some crap was deleted. If you didn't see it please refrain from further comments about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the resolution ultimately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts