2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this backup camera for my '13 Mazda3 with Sat-Nav. I ran across this find on another Mazda forum. Ebay seller who is affiliated with a Toyota dealer in CA said it works on all '13 Mazda with the big Sat-Nav screen. Got it in 3 days. Here is a pic of it. It looks pretty much "plug-and-play." Will have to wait for better weather (rain almost everyday here) to do the install. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will update with working pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Subed. I'd love to install a back up camera but didn't think it was possible due to no connection for the camera on the rear of the head unit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT WORKS

IT WORKS!!!!!! :clap 1::001_wub 1: One available plug on back.

Finally took the plunge and installed the camera in my garage tonight. Here are pics hot off the camera.

When put in reverse, the screen automatically shows the rear view with guiding line. The image is correctly shown just like any other backup camera.

When selector is out of reverse, radio shows whatever was there.

Next step is where to put the camera ..... stay tune for day pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'm going to order this camera but can someone verify that it works on a manual transmission. I believe the OP has an auto trans, correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm going to order this camera but can someone verify that it works on a manual transmission. I believe the OP has an auto trans, correct?
This.

And do you have any pics of how you routed all the wires? I'm still trying to convince myself to do this..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This.

And do you have any pics of how you routed all the wires? I'm still trying to convince myself to do this..
CAVEAT>> Do figure out where to mount the camera first since the camera's housing is larger than the wiring portion of the housing so it needs to be mounted first. I made a mistake of not mounting the camera first so now I would have to reroute the wiring.

Anyway, I ran the wiring behind the glove box to underneath the front passenger scuff plate and rear passenger scuff plate; and pushed the wiring into the hatch area for now (spare tire section). I am deciding whether to mount it low on the license plate or high by the third brake light.

If mounting by the license plate, I would have to remove the bumper to route the wiring to the outside.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got one! I love how the instructions say 'run cable along factory provided loom' that's all it says about what's probably the longest part ^-^

Let's see if I can figure this out... I already have the tail apart because I'm putting LEDs in the hatch.

I'd say to put the camera on the bumper, because that's where it is on a CT200 and that gives a good picture. You aren't going to miss a curb that way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When put in reverse, the screen automatically shows the rear view with guiding line.
Do the "guiding lines" move from side to side as you turn the steering wheel as they do with factory-installed back-up cameras?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got one! I love how the instructions say 'run cable along factory provided loom' that's all it says about what's probably the longest part ^-^

Let's see if I can figure this out... I already have the tail apart because I'm putting LEDs in the hatch.

I'd say to put the camera on the bumper, because that's where it is on a CT200 and that gives a good picture. You aren't going to miss a curb that way.
you mean on the bumper itself? My camera has to be mounted under a flat surface since the mounting piece is 90 degrees to the camera lens.

I figure I put it to the right of the license plate cutout since I could mount it close to one of the license plate light.

My second position would be inside the hatch and right under the piece covering the third brake light.

The guide lines don't seem to move with respect to the steering input. I haven't mount the camera yet but I don't think it would anyway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
They don't move on the Lexus, either. (same unit, I think)

Yeah, there's that big space above the license plate - I might jigger in a flat piece of aluminum or something to mount it to since the tail is so pointy on the hatch I don't want the camera sticking out. I haven't figured it out yet.

The dismantling of the interior is quite the crazy thing. o-o I should start writing down all the parts I've taken out. Nothing has been hard, but why does the speaker harness go from the passenger side, to the back, then the driver's side, the up to the spare tire well? Sheesh. It could've saved a good several feet of wire just coming across from the passenger side x-x Anyhow, I figure I'll put the cable along that.

-Crissa

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, so many parts to take out. you are right on the speaker wires in the spare tire area. I can imagine trying to remove the spare tire in the dark on a lonely road and damage the speaker wires.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe that's why there's all the extra? Extra wire is actually easier to move out of the way. Personally, I put flares and a flashlight in the jack's compartment, so that's the first thing I can reach. Always keep a pair of gloves and a thing of fix a flat, too. Of course, I haven't really needed any since I had a Nova ^-^

Took the day off to do a different art project, since I was so frustrated at all the panels yesterday.

-Crissa

1 - 20 of 54 Posts