2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows of a common failure I can investigate here.

My backup camera failed not long after getting my car new, was replaced under warranty. Well that comprehensive warranty has expired about a month ago and the camera is starting to fail again.

Image was poor quality, very low framerate (jerky movement) and the image was slowly rolling upwards like an old TV or VCR that hasn't been set up properly.

First failure I figured it was a fluke defect. Two in 3 years? Something's up. Maybe moisture getting in? Failed solder joints?

Any thoughts? Its a 2015 BTW. It works for now, but if this is anything like the past it'll get worse until it fails completely.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My brief experience with Mazda shows me they will play hardball when it comes to covering a warranty item, or an out of warranty item as it were. Even if it is just a month past. Doesn't hurt to try, maybe i just got a bad rep from Mazda "customer experience" lol

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same experience here, but if its out of warranty I expect no less. It is what it is.

Maybe I'll pull the camera when I have time and check out the contacts.

Wiring seems unlikely since this is identical behaviour as the last one. I can't completely rule it out, but doesn't really seem to fit to me.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Given the problem started within the warranty period and has never been satisfactorily fixed, there shouldn't be an issue getting them to fix it for free. (That's how it works here anyway)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully intend to ask, but at the same time I expect nothing to be done. They can just argue that they did fix this since it was over 2 years ago and this is a new failure. I hate to admit it, but that is valid.

Getting back on topic! Is anyone aware of any common failures with these things? Maybe something specific to the hatchback?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've now confirmed that my dealer is blazingly stupid. That's one item off my list I guess. I won't touch on past stupidity, but their solution was to update the CMU...for a broken camera. Genuis. I told them it is up to date, they want to know who did it. In honest, I tell them i did the job.

So according to my dealer that's not possible because 'special equipment is required' so therefore I couldn't have possibly updated the CMU firmware

In other news, my warranty is out and they're not helping as expected. Time to pull a camera and inspect for broken solder joints.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, that is my exact experience.

I can't complain as that is how a company should act.

In your case i would have brought it in and asked for diagnoais or called and if they asked about the version just tell them, Don't tell them you updated it.

Honestly i am personally disappointed in Mazda overall in this short term. Let's see how the vehicle overall holds up. I might just dump it when then CPO powertrain warranty runs out :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I'll put the car in reverse and get a black screen. Then I go back, open and shut the hatch, and then the camera works fine. That suggests to me that there is a loose connection somewhere in the back. It also has only been a problem in the summer, but not during winter, which suggests a loose connection due to heat/expansion.

Try opening and shutting your trunk/hatch or checking the wires/connectors all the way at the back. It may be as simple as a loose connection. That's my guess anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had my first back up camera experience a couple of days ago on my 17,000 mile 2017 hatch GT (Japan build)...similar condition that Zero_Gravity described below with the rolling/blurry screen. Was out doing some local errands on an extremely humid NYC day. After my last stop is when I had the issue. Shut the car off for a few seconds thinking it might reset but still had the problem. Let the car sit for awhile after getting home and all was fine when I went back to the car. At this point, I'm not chalking it up to anything serious except the common problems which can occur with any computer system...where a simple reset, sleep, battery pull, etc. fixes the problem.

As previously planned...later in the day I updated my firmware from .540 NA to .546NA and reinstalled my tweaks.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm on the way to solvng this one. I suspect this is an engineering fault that only affects hatchbacks. If I slam the trunk hatch, it makes the camera glich out....gentelmen, we have a bad connection.

I'm away from home but plan to fix this soon. I'll post post pics when I get to the root of the problem.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm on the way to solvng this one. I suspect this is an engineering fault that only affects hatchbacks. If I slam the trunk hatch, it makes the camera glich out....gentelmen, we have a bad connection.

I'm away from home but plan to fix this soon. I'll post post pics when I get to the root of the problem.
I was going to have a look at mine soon too. I'll post if I find anything also. I'm hoping there's a quick solution like zip-tying a loose connection in the hatch.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I pulled it out last night and no luck. Wasn't a difficult processes, but I'd recommend using plastic pry tools on the trim. You'll need a 10mm deep socket as well.

Couldn't make it fail. Didn't find a loose connection, wiring is fine.

I suspect it's a solder joint inside the camera itself that has a hairline fracture. I've noticed that this happens more often when its cool and last night was quite warm. Cool temperatures cause the joints to contract giving a poor connection.

At least that's my theory and I have no way to prove it. These camera units are sealed shut but good. They glued them probably some sort of plastic epoxy. Only way to open it that I can see is brute force. Maybe cut it. Mine still works most of the time so I'm not ready to do that yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2013 sky hatch. My trim didn't come with a backup camera. So i bought a 15€ camera and installed it my self. Very easy,you can find tutorial on this forum. If you are out of warrant, i recommend this. Only trick is you have to find 6 volt, NOT 12 volt camera.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well I pulled it out last night and no luck. Wasn't a difficult processes, but I'd recommend using plastic pry tools on the trim. You'll need a 10mm deep socket as well.
Thanks for the attempt! Did you get any photos of exactly where you pulled trim to gain access? If so, can you post a few?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my Backup Camera start failing a few months after I bought my 2016 3 Hatch. Stopped works a few times but nothing major until 3 months ago. The camera would display a black screen or get the rolling SD TV quality video. Sometimes it would work just fine. Took in my car for an oil change and they told me my CMU was faulty. The dealer ordered a new one and installed it a few weeks later. Camera worked fine for 2 months. Then started again. Took the car in for another oil change a month later and had them check it. They told me that when the CMU starts going bad, it takes the camera with it so they usually replace it at the same time as the CMU. Not sure why they didn't do that last time. Now I have the camera on order to be replaced next week.

Lets hope this fixes the issue. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had my Backup Camera start failing a few months after I bought my 2016 3 Hatch. Stopped works a few times but nothing major until 3 months ago. The camera would display a black screen or get the rolling SD TV quality video. Sometimes it would work just fine. Took in my car for an oil change and they told me my CMU was faulty. The dealer ordered a new one and installed it a few weeks later. Camera worked fine for 2 months. Then started again. Took the car in for another oil change a month later and had them check it. They told me that when the CMU starts going bad, it takes the camera with it so they usually replace it at the same time as the CMU. Not sure why they didn't do that last time. Now I have the camera on order to be replaced next week.

Lets hope this fixes the issue. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. :)
ASH8 posted the most recent Mazda General Service Bulletin and Q&A a few days ago. One issue they addressed was specifically the back up camera. Mazda claims that any aftermarket 12V adapter (which is basically everything) that is plugged into the arm rest console can/may affect the back up camera. Obviously, if the service department indicates the CMU is bad, that trumps everything, but something to keep in mind as a simple fix for others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts