2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2014 GT. It has Blind spot monitoring, but it also seems to detect vehicles come from rear sides when I'm backing out.

Does anybody know how this work? Are there some hidden sensors in the bumper?

Sometimes it beeps, other times it doesn't. Not sure what the trigger or calibration is.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Rear View Monitor works only for traffic coming perpendicular to you, for example when you are reversing out of a parking spot in a car park and there is a car moving towards you. Thus they cannot be used for say, parallel street parking.

They are NOT parking sensors in the traditional sense of Park Distance Control systems which detect the distance between your front and rear bumper and a fixed object. That is a separate option and or accessory depending on the country.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks gents. looks like there are giant sensors on each corner of the rear bumper, kind of acting as a sonar.

For the longest time, I thought it was some kind of optical / laser sensors built into each side view mirror.:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just peaked underneath the car. They're pretty much to the side of the rear bumpers, bolted to chassis, with some clearance between bumper cover. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The "Blind Spot Monitoring" uses the sensors that detect objects in the left or right blind spots. (You will see a yellow light/symbol in your side view mirrors) If you flip on your turning signal when there is something there (like you signal like you are about to begin changing lanes to the left lane when there is something detected by the left sensor) the system will beep to alert you there is something there.

The Rear Cross Traffic Alert is very similar and related "safety feature"... I believe it is employing the same sensors, but if not, directly related sensors in the rear bumper... this detects vehicles approaching from the side like when you are reversing out of a parking spot and vehicles may be approaching in the lane you are reversing into. When your vehicle is in reverse it will beep.... I have found this to be much more helpful than I originally anticipated - as it seems to detect vehicles approaching from much further away than I was expecting (Truth be told, I was expecting it to be relatively useless feature, but have ben pleasantly surprised so far...)

Neither of these is a "back up sensor" or "parking sensors" in the context of many vehicles where they starting beeping with a pattern that increases in frequency as you get closer to an object... you know - you have heard them: beep........beep....beep...beep..beep.beep.beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep(Bang!)

I understand that what Mazda calls "Rear Parking Sensors" are available, but not a standard package inclusion (at least not where I live.)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I thought I wanted rear parking sensors but I don't need them. Having the backup camera is amazing and the rear cross traffic alert is the bomb!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Believe me or not, on my test drive I was reversing and just switched shift to R, suddenly car started beeping. I look at the screen in split of a second someone zoomed in the back, until now this is in my head. That is insane if you distracted as I was cheat chatting with sales person this feature so helpful.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought I wanted rear parking sensors but I don't need them. Having the backup camera is amazing and the rear cross traffic alert is the bomb!
Me too, the camera makes the back up sensors kind of pointless. Though now it really makes me want front sensors or a front camera so I don't curb the front lip. I don't know why there are optional rear parking sensors, but not front (though apparently there are front sensors outside the US).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Me too, the camera makes the back up sensors kind of pointless. Though now it really makes me want front sensors or a front camera so I don't curb the front lip. I don't know why there are optional rear parking sensors, but not front (though apparently there are front sensors outside the US).
Agreed! If they had a front camera for parking that would be amazing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Meh, I prefer sensors over a camera since they provide a better indicator of true distance and are much more helpful for street parking, wedging between two other closely-parked vehicles.

If I planned to own the vehicle for a long time, I would buy the accessory but meh.....this ain't a long-term vehicle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Which one is long term then? I'm looking for a long term one for 5 years still not sure. And regarding sensors, don't forget when you are very close to object a buzz is constant so visually you actually measure distance better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts