2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure where to post this, but...

I've been reading about the NA Auto Show over last couple of days and ran across a claim (related to the Ford GT?) that the US govt will make back-up cams mandatory on all cars in US mkt after 2016. Is this correct?

Here's the original article mentioning this (see caption):
"It makes sense, of course, as the things are federally mandated after 2016."

CARandDRIVER

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd be ok with this. Too many people don't bother looking behind them... this could help.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Yup. Cars have such high beltlines now. Visibility is super low these days. The only problem is that some people only look at their cameras when backing up. I was walking in a parking lot and was almost at the corner of a car and noticed that the driver was only looking at her camera. She just straight backed out of her spot without even looking left and right first.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm not a fan of it..it is handy but as stated above people rely only on the camera when you should really turn YOUR HEAD and look ! Plus we have people come in and say the camera or screen is fuzzy/blurry, well go wipe it off since the back end of any vehicle seems to collect dirt.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought it was 2017 or 2018, but yes, they're definitely going to be mandatory in the next couple years. That's part of why pretty much anything with an infotainment screen already comes with a cam.

That said, the cam is the not my most frequent place to look when backing up. I still turn around, etc. The beep alert that comes from passing traffic (and sometimes even triggered people walking by in a parking lot) is very useful though. Unfortunately THAT won't be required as far as I know. That feature requires sensors such as the ones used by our blind spot monitor. (The passing traffic alert when in reverse uses the BSM sensors.) It's possible those are required and the media reporting groups it all as the camera requirement assuming it's connected. Not sure, I'd have to see real details on what is required. What is REPORTED to be required is typically just stated as the camera.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to sound like an old fuddy-duddy here, but.... as we move (inexorably?) towards "self-driving/automated" cars, it seems like more and more of the driving experience and responsibility is being taken from the driver and replaced by technologies, which aren't necessarily all bad, but should assist (not replace) the driver. :001_unsure:

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
this all comes back to, drivers should obtain the correct skills to drive the dam thing. nanny systems basically dumb down the requirements to drive a car, and as new generations of drivers come into play, they don't learn the basics properly and when these system have problems newer drivers will panic and fail.

good example, today a major off freeway traffic light broke. so the intersection becomes a glorified stop sign. when people properly rotated though it, traffic was moving a decent rate. people that don't know how to make there own decisions, basically freeze up, go out of order, don't even stop, causing traffic jams or accidents.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
then again, i also believe getting a drivers licence should have more requirements than a pulse and being able to read few a flash cards.

Reactions: greg42

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not to sound like an old fuddy-duddy here, but.... as we move (inexorably?) towards "self-driving/automated" cars, it seems like more and more of the driving experience and responsibility is being taken from the driver and replaced by technologies, which aren't necessarily all bad, but should assist (not replace) the driver. :001_unsure:
Fine sentiment but I fail to see how a backup camera is a "nanny system" any more than a mirror would be. It doesn't do anything FOR you, it's just a tool that you can use to be alittle more safe (in theory). Driver training and responsibility is the far more important factor -- meaning that a) drivers should be trained to use not only the camera but the mirrors and their eyes as well and b) any accidents that come about from drivers misusing technology, even that which is designed to make them safe, should be punished, strictly.

It's true that all the tech in the world can't make a bad driver safer, but it CAN make good drivers less likely to back over their family dog, so... that's something.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Fine sentiment but I fail to see how a backup camera is a "nanny system" any more than a mirror would be. It doesn't do anything FOR you, it's just a tool that you can use to be alittle more safe (in theory). Driver training and responsibility is the far more important factor -- meaning that a) drivers should be trained to use not only the camera but the mirrors and their eyes as well and b) any accidents that come about from drivers misusing technology, even that which is designed to make them safe, should be punished, strictly.

It's true that all the tech in the world can't make a bad driver safer, but it CAN make good drivers less likely to back over their family dog, so... that's something.
Bobman, couldn't agree with your points more and didn't mean to bemoan the back-up cam (which I think is a great help, even though I don't have one on my iSport hatch).

Regarding driver training .... here's a recent podcast from Down Under:

PodOmatic | Best Free Podcasts

Substantive discussion of the issue begins around 6:15.

Reactions: TheBobmanNH

·
Registered
95 Posts
I gotta agree with Bobman here. BSM, RCTA, EBD, etc are all tools. Having the most gizmos doesn't make you the best at what you do it's how you use them. I have the BSM and RCTA on mine and I still look over my shoulder when changing lanes. With the backup cameras on the other cars at the lot, I still turn around and look back. I tell all my clients that regardless of these new features, to still do the same. I remember almost backing over my friend's cat a week ago. I had a Fusion Energi as my demo car while the Mazda was at the shop for an oil change. I turned around to look back then back to the screen to make sure and low and behold, the cat was right there curled up on the ground.

Tools and safety features are not to blame for watered down drivers. It all starts at the source....driver's ed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts