2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took off my corksport SRI and reinstalled my stock air box.
The reason for this is because without a tune, the SRI was just hindering the low RPMs like mad! On my Auto (Yes I know my auto) the gears werent shifting right and it felt sluggish until I got up to speed. It started to exaggerate this feeling when I installed my borla exhaust. I dont have real numbers. And yes my engine sounds less aggressive now.
For those of you that have returned to the dark side, what do you guys think? It feels so much more responsive and with a better air filter I think it will make it even more fun!

Has any one tried this change with their OV tune?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here, I put my stock air box back into my ovtuned gen2 sky (had a JBR SRI) and the throttle response from 0-2500 rpm is a lot better. I run it with a magnaflow exhaust but I really don't care about how my car sounds since it doesn't make much power anyway even with a tune. I don't haven't installed a K&N filter yet but honestly not sure how much of a diff that would make from OEM filters.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Was just planning on doing this actually. I have a corksport cat back to go with the sri but was worried about the heat without the corksport cold air box...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went for the AEM dry flow filter in the stock airbox and am pretty happy with it. No definitive change over the stock filter, but I did definitely get a little bit better pedal response than the old 50k mile stock filter. It was getting dirty for sure!

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Its a good alternative to the factory filter, its easy to clean, does not require any oiling, and AEM does testing at various altitudes too, so if your heading into the mountains you don't have to worry about the car choking out or losing a bunch of power. K&N only does testing at sea level and requires oiling of the filter which can foul up sensors if your not careful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just went back to the stock intake with an AEM drop in and the car runs a lot better. My mpg's are up about one and a half as well. I loved the SRI on the mazda 6 that I had but it hasn't ran well in my 3 for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts