2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

What improves the in-cabin sound more, an Axle-Back exhaust or an SRI?

• Axle-Back

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • SRI

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to improve the sound of my 2017 2.5 manual, specifically for myself, i.e. inside the cabin. I don't care about the intricacies of sound outside of the car, as long as it's not embarrassingly loud or otherwise silly.

It's obvious that there are 2 primary options - the exhaust and the intake. If I were to go for an exhaust, I'd go for an axle back; if it's the intake, I would stick to an SRI.

So, my question is - which of the two makes the most difference for the soundtrack as heard behind the wheel? I'm after a nice growly low tone, louder than stock (which is pretty much nothing), but not obnoxious. More importantly at lower end of the RPM spectrum, as I don't always redline my engine 馃槂.

Also, from what I've read so far, it seems like the exhaust makes more difference in low RPMs, low load scenarios, while the SRI comes alive at higher RPM, wot, etc. Does that sound about right?

If the exhaust sound does make it's way inside the cabin, it would probably be what I will go for - CS or RB, haven't decided yet. But I don't want to be spending money if all it does is improve the soundtrack for everyone around but not the driver. Very selfish, I know...

*The Electrician*
Do both. Start with intake, and know that an exhaust will double the noise lvl in cabin. Beware, some people don't end up liking exhausts at all because of potential highway drone. Start with the intake, and if not satisfied, goto an axleback as well.

Reactions: Avanti7

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your feedback! Given my limited budget (shipping to Canada + crappy exchange rate don't help...), I'm still leaning towards going for the axle-back alone, just because I DO want the noise in the cabin, especially if it would double it like you said. As with droning - I don't drive my Mazda3 on the highways often and hopefully it won't be a big deal for me... Still haven't pulled the trigger, still deciding.

Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
Get the Ultimate Racing Axle-Back. They are in Canada and make a great product.

I paid extra for the angled steel rolled tips, which look mean.

It sounds loud, when you want it to, and it's not obnoxious or ricey sounding.
CK

Super Moderator
Yes, but UR only makes a system for the hatch. The sedan is different. UR won't work unless you can convince them to make a system with the tips welded on at a downward angle to fit the sedan rear bumper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Get the Ultimate Racing Axle-Back. They are in Canada and make a great product.

I paid extra for the angled steel rolled tips, which look mean.

It sounds loud, when you want it to, and it's not obnoxious or ricey sounding.
CK
Is your M3 a hatch or a sedan?

Registered
Does any one on here have the Remus system? Buy without the tips and have a muffler shop just put on tips???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
Sorry... totally forgot you have a sedan.
CK

Registered
My other car is an 8,000rpm honda motor that SINGS with a short ram intake on a relatively stock exhaust.
I'm old, so that's my preference, stay in the low RPM's (out of vtec) to fly under the radar, nothing but sweet sweet induction noise at WOT.
Wouldn't trade it for a loud catback that may drone on some setups.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
My other car is an 8,000rpm honda motor that SINGS with a short ram intake on a relatively stock exhaust.
I'm old, so that's my preference, stay in the low RPM's (out of vtec) to fly under the radar, nothing but sweet sweet induction noise at WOT.
Wouldn't trade it for a loud catback that may drone on some setups.
I'm good with my ears, but I still don't know the difference in the sound of intake (induction) vs the exhaust, since I'm a newbie in the world of car mods. Hoping to find out as I start working on my car more :)
The Skyactiv isn't exactly a rev-happy, but then what is these days, if we stick to ecoboxes... If I had a small displacement 7000+ rpm screamer, I think the intake would be higher on my wishlist than the exhaust.

*The Electrician*
Thanks for your feedback! Given my limited budget (shipping to Canada + crappy exchange rate don't help...), I'm still leaning towards going for the axle-back alone, just because I DO want the noise in the cabin, especially if it would double it like you said. As with droning - I don't drive my Mazda3 on the highways often and hopefully it won't be a big deal for me... Still haven't pulled the trigger, still deciding.

I went with the JamesBaronRacing short ram intake. Even with exchange rate and cross boarder shipping it was very reasonable and comparable in price to the custom axle back I had installed. If I had to pick one to keep and one to sell, Id keep the intake and sell the axle back. In fact, Id be willing to consider selling it to you for say $220CND shipped. Bolts right onto the factory midpipe.

*The Electrician*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts