2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forums. Just bought my first Mazda. 2017 Mazda 3 Sport GS. 2.0
Looking to start building up her performance. I have been lurking the threads over the last few days and seem to find people installing AxelBacks more often than CatBacks.
I was hoping someone had some insight on this. I have my eye on either magnaflow or borla exhaust

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on where you live. In Cali there are laws you cannot get the Full back cause of the omissions law.

between the magnaflow or borla exhaust

I like the sound of the Borla exhaust better then the Magnaflow, although some say the Magnaflow is louder, the Borla sounds cleaner.

Borla = 1,000,000-Mile You will never use that many lol
Magnaflow = lifetime

Your paying for that lifetime warranty for the magnaflow so factor that into the price.

Here are some reading on them both

Borla vs. Magnaflow Exhaust - Decide On The Best Exhaust System For Your Vehicle

Borla Catback sounding from a mazda 3 2015

Magnflow from a 2015

I like the sounding of the Magnflow on this video better for some reason it is much smoother. based on the 2 I would go with the Magnflow it might be more but the sound is what your going after.

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
I did find this just now searching the forums here.

https://www.ultimate-racing.com/collections/mazda3-hatchback-2014

video on how it sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBj0GKR6uWc&feature=youtu.be

I have to say it it is cheaper then the corksports below.

https://corksport.com/corksport-2014-mazda-3-axle-back-exhaust.html

Just a few more options.
I have this one. It is less expensive than the CS exhaust, it sounds better and the shipping costs are far less than CS rakes you over for.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Im going to be brave and probably be the first 2017 Hatch to go single exit :eek: say what??? Yup, single exit to save money, getting it custom done for hopefully $200-$300 tops. I can't justify the money for the ultimate racing one, but if I could that would definitely be my top choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dig the sound of the borla exhaust a lot. Im intrigued by their headers and cat back systems however I'm pretty sure mazda optimized their headers to prevent pulling exhaust back into the cylinders.
That being said, magnaflow offering hi flow cats so that may provide more gains

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
I dig the sound of the borla exhaust a lot. Im intrigued by their headers and cat back systems however I'm pretty sure mazda optimized their headers to prevent pulling exhaust back into the cylinders.
That being said, magnaflow offering hi flow cats so that may provide more gains
You need to be careful when messing with the exhaust on a SkyActiv car. Changing the exhaust flow can change how the engine performs. Larger cats and resonators can alter cylinder scavenging, and its been proven that a significant loss of torque will occur. There is currently no header system that actually works for the SkyActiv Mazda 3. The car already has a really good tubular header anyhow.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
You need to be careful when messing with the exhaust on a SkyActiv car. Changing the exhaust flow can change how the engine performs. Larger cats and resonators can alter cylinder scavenging, and its been proven that a significant loss of torque will occur. There is currently no header system that actually works for the SkyActiv Mazda 3. The car already has a really good tubular header anyhow.
Do you believe that going from dual exit to single exit would alter the flow enough to cause issues?

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1. The stock headers are quite good. The only aftermarkets Ive seen only produced gains by deleting the catalytic converter. You dont need a new header for that, just a pipe. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Do you believe that going from dual exit to single exit would alter the flow enough to cause issues?
Should not be an issue. Its been done with earlier model years with no complaints.

+1. The stock headers are quite good. The only aftermarkets Ive seen only produced gains by deleting the catalytic converter. You dont need a new header for that, just a pipe. :)
Yeah, and that can make the ECU throw a MIL code. It also won't pass many state inspections.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
Should not be an issue. Its been done with earlier model years with no complaints.

Yeah, and that can make the ECU throw a MIL code. It also won't pass many state inspections.
The OP and myself are in Canada, our province does not have any such inspection process. We have a crap ton of freedom for modifications but im sure its only a matter of time before they crack down on it. IMO headers on an N/A 4cyl are not worth it anyway, better to save up and get a Focus ST and do some cobb tuning on it. That's what Id have if I had the money for premium gas.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Not recommending it, just pointing out the header wasnt the gain. This car already has a 4-2-1 that was tuned for the high compression. I havent seen an aftermarket that improved hp by increasing flow through the piping itself. They just deleted the cat thats on it.

Reactions: The Italian

·
Registered
8 Posts
i would do a rear muffler delete plus secondary cat delete and replace it with a deep chambered resonator (so keep stock resonator and add another resonator, delete everything else after the header). I found this combination to sound best on NA 4cyl cars.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
i would do a rear muffler delete plus secondary cat delete and replace it with a deep chambered resonator (so keep stock resonator and add another resonator, delete everything else after the header). I found this combination to sound best on NA 4cyl cars.
Got any video clips of this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Borla Exhaust on my 2016 Hatch.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. The Borla exhaust sounds nice.

I'm stuck between the CS cat back... Racing Beat Axle-back with or without a CS mid-pipe... Ultimate Racing Axle-back with or without a CS mid-pipe. I'm pretty sure CA doesn't want me to delete my cat with the CARB laws and all.

Decisions..decisions...
CK

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 i Touring 6MT 2.0L
91 Posts
I have a CS midpipe with Borla Axleback -lemme pull up the video* not mine. I also have the OVT header so it sounds different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that video before. I've been researching this for some time, while I worked on other parts of my car. Now it's time to start making some decisions though.

That sounds like a really nice exhaust setup. I'm jealous.

Did adding the midpipe make any noticeable differences for you? Less engine drone or any change in performance?
Thanks in advance!
CK

1 - 20 of 37 Posts