2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told today at the dealer that the Mazda 3 AWD 2020 did not need to replace but the one tire that is bad; so you did not have to replace all four tires on this AWD car. Is this true? It goes against historical treatment of AWD of tires to preserve the same tire tread and so prevent mechanical damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New car. Just wondering about normal use, as eventually I will get a flat tire. My son has a SAAB and is all over changing all the tires due to the potential damage. If this has been solved, occasional normal tire rotation and repairs would be a little less stressful than worrying about being within some type of tight tolerance; whatever that is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One Mazda thread talking about fault indicators basically said the assumption is that all the tires are the same size and "although I have yet to see anything firm from Mazda, It appears that the general auto manufacturer
consensus MAX is .25 inch or within 30% or 4/32 difference, or 6.35mm."

Consumer reports talked about saving money by "shaving" the tire to match at Tiretrack for about $30. "A typical new all-season tire will have a tread depth of about 10/32” and is worn out at 2/32”. So shaving a replacement tire makes the most sense if the remaining tread on your tires is no more than about half-worn, at approximately 6/32”.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
Having one tire thats a different size can put unneeded strain on the drive train. Also, the traction control system and the torque vectoring system won't work properly because the tires, being different sizes, will be turning at different speeds. Those systems require the tires to all be turning at the same rpm to function correctly.
Read this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts