2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem is almost too specific to post, but I'm curious what might be going on.

Other than this, they work great. However, once a week I play a poker game up in the mountains (I live in town next to the mountains). Going up there, sometimes it's dark, sometimes it is light, but the wipers work fine all the way. Coming home it is always dark, and the wipers will come on, raining or not, until I get to the freeway about 5 minutes later, then shut off.

I'm guessing they work via camera, and maybe the fact that it's pitch black has something to do with it?

'17 GT.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The ones on our 2016 sGT wipe when not raining. Enough of a nuisance that we turn them off when it isn't raining.

Wife likes the auto lights as well, but I turn them off because they're often on during the day, driving through shadows, etc.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Here's my experience with the auto wipers on my '15:

Firstly, wash your damn windows :p.it is indeed a camera system (right behind your rear view mirror) and it can be extremely sensitive to dirt on the windshield. Even a little dirt in the right spot can do it.

It doesn't do well in the fog. Tends to see it as rain. Just turn them off in thick fog. Same deal if your windows are fogging up.

Try turning the sensitivity down to the lowest setting. That helped me lots.

Try using your washer fluid, can often clean up the offending dirt.

The odd time turning them off then back on can reset the logic.

Overall I've been very happy with the auto wipers once I figured out their quirks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The rain sensor is not behind the mirror (that's for auto dimming), but rather next to it. The black box if you have a 2017 and above.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's my experience with the auto wipers on my '15:

Firstly, wash your damn windows :p.it is indeed a camera system (right behind your rear view mirror) and it can be extremely sensitive to dirt on the windshield. Even a little dirt in the right spot can do it.

It doesn't do well in the fog. Tends to see it as rain. Just turn them off in thick fog. Same deal if your windows are fogging up.

Try turning the sensitivity down to the lowest setting. That helped me lots.

Try using your washer fluid, can often clean up the offending dirt.

The odd time turning them off then back on can reset the logic.

Overall I've been very happy with the auto wipers once I figured out their quirks.
Actually it isn't a camera at all. It is a set of LED lights and LED receivers that reflect the light off the windshield and into the receivers. If the LED light gets refracted away from the receivers by rain or something else then the wipers will wipe. Also the sensor is beside the rearvew mirror and is covered by black plastic.

A clean windshield helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a 2015 with automatic wipers, and have never had a problem; I frequently leave the auto wipers on, and don't realize it until they wipe because there's mist (I usually leave the sensitivity at the highest or 2nd-highest setting too). I also keep my windshield and the rest of the car clean. I think that's probably the biggest factor here.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I used to leave the wipers in the auto positional all the time, and would often find them cycling on at random times without rain. However, just turn them off when its not raining, there is no reason to leave them in Auto mode all the time. Also, remember, for those who live in countries with snow and ice, if you leave your wipers on Auto mode and start the car up with a huge pile of snow or ice on the windshield - you could potentially damage the motor, linkage and even the wiper blades.....so get in the habit of turning them off.....don't be lazy now, lol.....

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
This is an “upgrade” that I too did not like. Thankfully by going into settings, turned if off — and now I get to adjust the wipers the way I want.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use the "auto" wiper function only when it's raining. Otherwise they're off.

When it's wet and I flip them on they will automatically speed up and slow down as needed. Even stop for moments between moisture and start up again when needed. But when it's dry out I leave the switch full off

·
Registered
13 Posts
happened to me late last week and drove me nuts. check vehicle settings on the MZD Connect, there is an option for Rain Sensing Wipers. For whatever reason mine was unchecked, even though I haven't been messing around with the settings... checking the option gets everything going as expected again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts