2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal of automatic transmission working?
I would like to have some recommend from you.

I've just notified that my M3 2014 makes the whining noise during;
- start driving 1st - 2nd -3rd gear
- slowing down 3rd - 2nd - 1st gear
I understand that this is the normal working of torque converter, the noise is coming from the turbine.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds like the tq converter is going out on you. Flush the transmission fluid first, and see what happens. If it gets worse, a new one is coming your way. If it gets better, then it's just the dirty fluid.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like the tq converter is going out on you. Flush the transmission fluid first, and see what happens. If it gets worse, a new one is coming your way. If it gets better, then it's just the dirty fluid.
With a car still under warranty I would NOT recommend this. Just bring it to the dealer and complain. If you start trying stuff yourself and it turns out to not fix the problem they may try to blame you / not cover the repair.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The car isn't even a year old.

I highly doubt that.

As said, take it to the dealership and let them attempt to hear what you're hearing.
There's nothing anyone here can do for you.
Transmissions make whine noises, that's just what gears do period. If you think it's an issue, let the dealership handle it while you're under warranty. That's the point of a warranty.

Then come back and let us know what they say.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My brand new '15 with only 400 miles whines also. I notice it when the trans is cold and I am driving slow. Don't hear it otherwise. Completely normal.

Don

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
With a car still under warranty I would NOT recommend this. Just bring it to the dealer and complain. If you start trying stuff yourself and it turns out to not fix the problem they may try to blame you / not cover the repair.
The dealer will likely do this, I never said you should do it yourself. But if you have them go through the process, then it makes it easier to cover at a later date since it was documented well within the warranty period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks every one,
I will go to dealer tomorrow for checking; hope it will be normal-to explain the noise by the words is quite difficult and may be totally misunderstand.
after that I will update the result.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My brand new '15 with only 400 miles whines also. I notice it when the trans is cold and I am driving slow. Don't hear it otherwise. Completely normal.

Don
Cold stiff mount vs when heated up the mount will be more flexible allowing more vibration dispersion through the mount.

Makes sense to me.

lol... you have fun with that OP; they'll probably just tell you "it's normal," unless they go into more detail, which there isn't much detail to go into.
Because... like I've already said; that's the sound transmissions make. All of them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
WOW!! Took mine into the dealer today and they are replacing my transmission!!!! Hope this works out. I love my Mazda and hope this isn't a sign. Dealers make me nervous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't worry if they are replacing the transmission. I would only worry if the dealer was going to "rebuild" your existing transmission. Not that they couldn't, it would just make me nervous.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
723 Posts
A whine loud enough to cause notice is not normal. My 2015 automatic does not whine at all, at least not that I can hear.

The only auto tranny with a noticeable whine I ever owned was a Chevy pickup that began sounding like a jet turbine. It quit working at that time and took a rebuild to get it back to quiet again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I took my M3 in last Tuesday and they diagnosed it needs a new transmission. As of Friday they have NO ETA on when it will come in. WTF?? Is this normal??

·
Registered
975 Posts
So I took my M3 in last Tuesday and they diagnosed it needs a new transmission. As of Friday they have NO ETA on when it will come in. WTF?? Is this normal??
I was going to say the same.

Seems like a fair number of gen3s are already getting warranty calls on a full transmission replacement.

And by fair I mean it seems as though it's happening a lot more than it should.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Do you have any sites showing that?
yeah.... this forum alone.
Take a look around; lots of gen3 owners are complaining about their transmissions across the board.

Far more than I've ever seen anyone complain about a transmission for a near brand new car.

Something is clearly up.
If one person pops up on the forum talking about it every week or every other week for over a year... it's becomes obvious something is wrong.
Particularly when it's someone new each time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts