2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I've been doing research for a while now for engine tunes and it seems like OVT, DRT & Versatuner are what's available out there for our cars. My question is if there's a auto transmission tune available with any of these tuners? Like to firm up the shifts, and if anyone had any experience with it? Or even if anyone knows of shift kits or valve body upgrades?

I know when I owned my 335i such tunes, and different valve bodies were available. I understand there's more aftermarket for BMW's, and compared to the Mazda aftermarket, Mazda is a very niche market.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm in between buying another 3 manual and swaping all my mods over to it or just keeping the auto and continue modding that. Also I do have a 2nd gen Skyactiv, but I figure there would be more owners with tuned 3rd gens then 2nd gens.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
933 Posts
Im on OVT (manual 5spd) and the tune keep the rpd hanging higher when shifting (not sure if its OEM or OVT)
But what you are talking about id like some cars have sport mode .
Not sure if an OV tune would change the shift on auto transmissions (shift at higher rpm) but OEM tune may already do that
depending on throttle postion / heavy acceleration. The think the VF tune that is coming may have those options built in (Guessing here)
Check the VF Tune website

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 2017 2.5 automatic. In my last few revisions of OVT, I don't know what they did but my car would shift at lower RPMs at low load, at times 500rpm lower than it would on previous tune revisions (or on stock). I'm not too sure why it does this, perhaps they manipulated with the throttle or load mapping. But it made the car feel a lot better when it shifts like that. Also the shifts at all throttle levels felt a tad quicker. I probably should go back to stock tune sometime to really remember the differences...

I know that OVT can't tune the transmission though, so what they are doing must be through the engine

·
Registered
2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 2017 2.5 automatic. In my last few revisions of OVT, I don't know what they did but my car would shift at lower RPMs at low load, at times 500rpm lower than it would on previous tune revisions (or on stock). I'm not too sure why it does this, perhaps they manipulated with the throttle or load mapping. But it made the car feel a lot better when it shifts like that. Also the shifts at all throttle levels felt a tad quicker. I probably should go back to stock tune sometime to really remember the differences...

I know that OVT can't tune the transmission though, so what they are doing must be through the engine
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback! It's good to know that it's not something they can actually tune, but the tune itself has an affect on drivability!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,027 Posts
Throttle recalibration can be included but adjusting shift points would probably be a bad idea.. unless you only drive in one set style/condition. It would impact MPG and make certain driving conditions not fun.

They can set up different tune files that you can flash in. Allows you to switch back and forth.
CK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts