2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a while ago but I am curious, how reliable is automatic transmission with sealed for life fluid? :whistling 1:

I heard that if changed it will slip and not change gears :001_unsure:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I noticed a while ago but I am curioius, how reliable is automatic transmission with sealed for life fluid? :whistling 1:

I heard that if changed it will slip and not change gears :001_unsure:
First I've heard of this, but am curious to learn more as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it's anything like the "lifetime" fluid for the ZF automatics on BMWs, I'd go for a change at 150-160k km (93-100k mls) under optimal driving conditions. And probably not easily serviced, although possible- basically you can drain about half of the gearbox fluid but the small amount left in the (small) torque converter can't easily be drained. But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My local dealer recommends a flush & fill before 60k km for the added warranty, as opposed to never changing the fluid.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
A lot of folks in the previous generation of lifetime transmissions got new ones around 80k. So a good rule of thumb is to change the fluid between 40 and 60k.

-Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
For my 01' BMW, the transmission is sealed "lifetime" fluid ZF automatic. I have changed the fluid when 140k miles on the clock. It shifts smooth before and after fluid change. Now it has 160k miles on it.

I plan to have transmission fluid change on my M3 between 60 and 90k miles.

Reactions: trixx506

·
Registered
412 Posts
For my 01' BMW, the transmission is sealed "lifetime" fluid ZF automatic. I have changed the fluid when 140k miles on the clock. It shifts smooth before and after fluid change. Now it has 160k miles on it.

I plan to have transmission fluid change on my M3 between 60 and 90k miles.
You realise that BMW eventually relented and suggested the ATF change at 160k km (100k mls).......stated in the service booklet for that generation of cars. At least that's what mine said in 2004.

I think automatic gearboxes thesedays are pretty darn reliable though. As long one isn't ragging on it when cold, it should stand up to a lot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I will try to change it myself, hopefully there is no filter.

For those wondering service manuals includes it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts