2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I've bought a few monts ago a Mazga 3 GT 2018 automatic. I do like it but I can't live with the gearing of that transmission! It's always running at very low RPM, I do not care if it take a bit more gas if it there would be more fun to use it! Even in sport mode, it sometime lower the rpm under 1500. That'd be great if the RPM would stay somewhere near 2000rpm.

I should have bought a manual one but I was really annoyed living in traffic. Overall, I had more fun with my 2006 3GT manual than with this one.

Is there a way to change the Mazda 3 GT mapping?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Yeah, just use the manual mode and keep the RPMs up. You'll lose some mpg, but you'll have more fun accelerating.

I had a 2016 sport touring HB with an automatic transmission and it was a fun car to drive. Especially in manual mode.

I prefer driving my 2018 manual transmission much more though. You have a lot more control over the car and climbing gears at max RPMs is a blast.
CK

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have a manual myself, but coming from a friend who has auto I understand that it normally runs low rpm until you drop the pedal hard. His drops gears immediately and holds the gears until he lets off the accelerator. He's been very impressed with how well it responds, and this guy used to race cars. Has a bit of a lead foot :p

Could it be that yours isn't downshifting as it should?

·
Registered
792 Posts
It seems to me the manual mode that Mazda provides with its automatics would be perfect for someone who wants more RPMs and likes manual trannys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In manual mode, it did works well but I expected more from the automatic one in sport mode.
Running it Manually always, the gears shifting time is a bit long and when doing a quick move, it's not like running a manual one.

What is a OVTune ?

·
Engineer / Scientist
183 Posts
Is there a way to change the Mazda 3 GT mapping?
Yes

1 - remove the ecu/tcu
2- open said ecu
3- remove the eeprom chip
4- install the eeprom chip into a eeprom reader for the particular model you have (some research required)
5- download the rom, and find/write a dissasembly tool
6- reverse engineer the code
7- modify said code
8- reinstall said chip with new code reflashed
9- reinstall parts in ecu
10- reinstall ecu in vehicle

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a mazda 3 2018 as well, I noticed that the behavior of the gearbox was different from a 2015 model that my friend have.

So I connected my car using J2534 to see if there was an update for the gearbox TCM and there was one.

I updated the software on the TCM and the trans is now a lot better

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a mazda 3 2018 as well, I noticed that the behavior of the gearbox was different from a 2015 model that my friend have.

So I connected my car using J2534 to see if there was an update for the gearbox TCM and there was one.

I updated the software on the TCM and the trans is now a lot better

Ohh nice thanks for the hint, I'll go at the dealer to see if they could do that for me :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I've finally contact my Mazda dealership. They told me that the had receive a note from Mazda Canada telling them that there is no update, that maybe some is doign it but it is not from Mazda directly so they did not support it.
:(

·
Mountain Zoomer
11 Posts
If I run higher RPMs in manual mode for a while (e.g., 10+ minutes on a curvy mountain road), RPMs definitely run higher after switching back to auto mode. I enjoy how it adapts to driving style!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts