2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Austomatics: Sport and Manual/Paddle useage

• Sports Mode mostly locally

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Sports Mode when I think I need it

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Sports Mode usually only on "twisties" etc.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Sports Mode most of the time

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Sports Mode seldom used

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Have Paddles

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Don't have Paddles

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Manual Mode usually on "twisties" etc.

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Manual Mode used in most driving conditions

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Manual Mode used seldom

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Leave in Automatic most of the time or exclusively

Votes: 30 39.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Automatic Owners
Curious about Sport mode driving and using Paddle Shifters for those who have them, or manual stick mode shifting .. I tend to usually leave it in Sport mode around town and local driving because I like the more responsive engine feel and handling and I haven't noticed a huge drop in mpg. On trips and freeways I usually turn Sports Mode off. On twisties I most often combine Sports Mode using the Paddle Shifters. How about the rest of you?

And any comments are welcome.

Lets define "twisties" as any roads that are more fun or demanding to drive like mountain roads, curvy roads, etc.

This is a multi chose poll, so please mark more than one choice if you want to or it's relevant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have paddles, but I want to retrofit them. I noticed that usually the transmission changes gears pretty ok on its own. In normal mode it keeps the RPMs low, in Sport mode it is more responsive, but from time to time (i.e. when overtaking) I feel the need to control manually the gear. And putting it into Manual and downshifting takes too much time.

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
I don't have a "Sport" Mode, nor paddle shifters, but I tend to leave it in drive unless I'm taking a twisty road or trying to dart through traffic (to keep the torque up high/usable).

The manual mode is a good feature, but my "butt dyno" tells me that the car accelerates just as fast (if not faster) in auto in most situations.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have an Auto as well. I don't use sport mode much, but when i do its normally just to pass people while going uphill on the twisties.
I really only use my paddles to downshift. I have recently purchased the throttle maps form OV and eagerly await the new files.
Another member has said great things about the Pedal Commander so that has me thinking about getting one to improve daily driving.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have paddle shifters but no sport mode, therefore I drive in Manual Mode with paddle shifters in most driving conditions.

*Manual Mode = Sport Mode Constantly ON lol :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have paddle shifters but no sport mode, therefore I drive in Manual Mode with paddle shifters in most driving conditions.
You have paddle shifters but you don't have a "Drive Selector" (Sport Mode) switch button down on the center consol?

*Manual Mode = Sport Mode Constantly ON lol :)
Not sure what you mean.. "Sport Mode" is for when you are in automatic (non manual control) and it changes the tranny shift points and throttle control for better acceleration.
Manual Mode gives you control of the shift points, whether using the stick or paddles, if you have them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is it my driving but I find in sports mode car feels more responsive than manual mode? Feels very light and zippy.

All I feel in manual mode is that I can redline it etc manually but it just doesn't feel as responsive as sports mode

·
Registered
988 Posts
You have paddle shifters but you don't have a "Drive Selector" (Sport Mode) switch button down on the center console?
Correct

Not sure what you mean.. "Sport Mode" is for when you are in automatic (non manual control) and it changes the tranny shift points and throttle control for better acceleration.
I know the meaning and purpose of Sport Mode, what I'm referring to is that in manual mode acceleration and pedal response is the same as "Sport Mode", the only difference that you are engaging your driving in manual "mimic" shifting while in auto you don't have have to care about the shifting since this is automatically done for you.

In "Sport" mode, the auto-transmission holds the gears much longer and tends to keep it in the lower gears. If you don't like this the simple solution is to switch over to manual mode and you have almost complete control over the gear selection.

When comparing 2 cars, both automatic, same engine, same driver, the 1st in "manual" mode and the 2nd in "Sport Mode" ON , from a dead stop which car will be faster? The car with Sport Mode ON just because Sports Mode gives better acceleration to 0-100km as well? Sport Mode gives only a more engaging driving experiencing in automatic mode as per per how Mazda of Lodi describes it:

"By default, Mazda SKYACTIV engines are impressively fuel efficient. They have an ideal balance of power and efficiency. By selecting Sport Mode, you opt for a more engaging driving experience, which means more fuel consumption due to higher engine speeds. The trade off is enhanced accelerator pedal sensitivity and the provision of quick acceleration for merging, changing lanes or passing other vehicles."

Therefore I hope this explains my "metaphorical" comparison between Manual Mode = Sport Mode Constantly ON.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi! Sounds like an interesting thread!

I usually leave my car in Manual mode and shift using the stick shift. I use my paddle shifters too but I still prefer using the stick shift. The sport mode to me is a gimmick and I only see it do its thing when you leave it in drive, its like the computer holds you in a lower gear than usual and shifts accordingly to your pedal action. Maybe psychologically when putting sport mode on you'd feel that your car is going faster even in manual mode haha!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct
I know the meaning and purpose of Sport Mode, ,,,snip,,,,

Therefore I hope this explains my "metaphorical" comparison between Manual Mode = Sport Mode Constantly ON.
Sorry, your "metaphorical" comparison was just too rhetorical; now it is palaverous :grin2:

I was aware of what Sports Mode does, but I didn't know that some of the MZ3's didn't include it but do have paddle shifters? Which model do you have and is the absence just on the 2.0's over seas?

It's interesting that Mazda doesn't recommend leaving Sports Mode on all the time, don't know why, other than mpg, but maybe it's harder on the powertrain?

Thanks,

·
Registered
308 Posts
Engine brake with manual mode using the stick. Sometimes use manual mode on twisty roads too, but mostly it's in automatic. Automatic does a good job imo. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry, your "metaphorical" comparison was just too rhetorical; now it is palaverous :grin2:

I was aware of what Sports Mode does, but I didn't know that some of the MZ3's didn't include it but do have paddle shifters? Which model do you have and is the absence just on the 2.0's over seas?

It's interesting that Mazda doesn't recommend leaving Sports Mode on all the time, don't know why, other than mpg, but maybe it's harder on the powertrain?

Thanks,
In my country the Sport switch was included on the 2017 refresh, 2014 to 2016 didn't have it but had paddle shifters anyway.

I guess you're right. When you're driving normally like cruising down the freeway with little traffic its best to keep it in high gear unless you're planning to overtake. Otherwise if you keep your car in a lower gear your engine and transmission may get more stress. I do notice when I'm in manual mode and cruise at high gear (6th gear, constant 80 kph, not in cruise control) and I forget to switch off sport mode, the SPORT light comes off after sometime. Will see if it does happen again.

Reactions: MeteorGray

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know of an aftermarket paddle for 2017+? Big sur had one for the pre-refresh steering wheel but idk of any with the post-refresh steering wheel

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have never tried manual mode in mine yet. Afraid Im going to ruin my transmission if I do.
I will try it sometime though. Also, my car doesnt have the paddles, just the stick.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have never tried manual mode in mine yet. Afraid Im going to ruin my transmission if I do.
I will try it sometime though. Also, my car doesnt have the paddles, just the stick.
Built in rev limiter

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
I'm really happy I don't have paddles. I find them cumbersome and in the way. I like the clean look.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts