2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an automatic '15 Mz3. Normally I will leave it in D for about 90-95% of my driving. The remainder is if I am driving in hilly terrain or driving in a very spirited manner on a great driving road.

This evening I did an economy test, using the trip computer only. The route was 23km of undulating arterial road at 70-80 kmh with very little traffic, consistent for both runs.

Left in D I achieved 5.1L/100km, shifting manually I got 5.2. Both runs I drove it as smoothly and efficiently as possible. I was unable to beat the computer!

·
Registered
353 Posts
We rented a Jetta automatic once for the return trip from Columbus, OH to Ch'ville, Va. It had one of those paddle shifter things. Silliest thing I've ever experienced.

Yeah, if the automatic is reluctant to downshift when needed or holds shifts too long in upshifting. If it's a good automatic, I don't see any benefit of shifting it yourself unless it gets you off to just rev the engine unnecessarily.

Ralph

·
Registered
61 Posts
It'll be difficult to beat the computer. There's no point in trying to use the manual mode to get better fuel economy. I use it to be more engaged with the driving and to get those high revs. I can always use the paddle shifters to downshift while in D if I need some extra boost, or in the rare occasion Sport Mode sticks to a low gear.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I 100% shift manually, wish they sold em here with a manual box.
They do. We bought a Mazda3 in September with 6M. Had to drive 6 hours up in a rental and then 6 hours back to get it though. The local sales people said there was no stick shift on the East Coast. Found it on Autotrader. I just called the dealer, made a deal (saved $2.5k vs. local dealer) and went and picked it up.

The local dealer had a iSport 6M that we test drove. Didn't like the black interiors on anything but the sGT.

The 6M is virtually identical to the one in our (later bought) 2013 Miata GT. The Miata has a higher differential ratio, but the gearbox, shift revs, etc. are the same.

Ralph

·
Registered
109 Posts
i leave it in drive at all times but use the paddles to downshift if its needed which is rare, you still have manual control while in D, if you dont give it further input after 4-5 seconds it goes back into D mode

i find myself using sport mode alot just to get improved throttle response, i find i like it a lot more on a the interstate in bumper to bumper traffic

·
Registered
165 Posts
i leave it in drive at all times but use the paddles to downshift if its needed which is rare, you still have manual control while in D, if you dont give it further input after 4-5 seconds it goes back into D mode

i find myself using sport mode alot just to get improved throttle response, i find i like it a lot more on a the interstate in bumper to bumper traffic
Im addicted to sport mode, even more addicted to sport mode+manual mode

I found in manual mode its best to let the computer downshift when slowing down, alot smoother (which must be easier on the transmission as well)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Anyone drives with sport mode Auto on all the time ? How was the effect in terms of fuel efficiency on a 2.5L engine ?
I do this most days. It turns off the eco mode so gas mileage does get kicked in the balls. I have burned off half a tank once on the highway, and I only ran 200 KMS while in manual mode.
I do have the 2.5L

1 - 11 of 11 Posts