2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 Grand Touring stick shift
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To preface, I had traded in my 2004 Buick Regal LS and that had automatic climate control that you just set the temperature and no matter what the weather, it worked perfectly to keep interior at that temperature by adjusting fan speeds up and down and temperature adjustments as the weather changed.

I thought that my 2014 Mazda would work the same. In cool weather it does maintain that temperature nicely but with the A/C on, the fan speed definitely does not change to keep up with rising heat and the only way to get it to go to full blast is to put it to 60°. Set it one higher and the fan speed cuts to half. I've even brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they insist there's nothing wrong with it. Does everyone's work the same way?

·
Registered
24 Posts
To preface, I had traded in my 2004 Buick Regal LS and that had automatic climate control that you just set the temperature and no matter what the weather, it worked perfectly to keep interior at that temperature by adjusting fan speeds up and down and temperature adjustments as the weather changed.

I thought that my 2014 Mazda would work the same. In cool weather it does maintain that temperature nicely but with the A/C on, the fan speed definitely does not change to keep up with rising heat and the only way to get it to go to full blast is to put it to 60°. Set it one higher and the fan speed cuts to half. I've even brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they insist there's nothing wrong with it. Does everyone's work the same way?
I have a 2016 3 and I haven't had any problems with the temperature control, here in Florida its usually a scorching 88 degrees most of the year. I keep at 70 degrees and it adjusts according to the outside temperature. Are you recycling the air inside the cabin?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far two other drivers have confirmed that theirs works as intended so that's the beginning of a case that mine does not work as intended. Yet, the Mazda tech said that it's working normally and the unit wasn't showing any codes, when I described exactly to my favorite service writer what was going on, in great detail. I only use the air recirculation setting very rarely, in cases of extreme hot or cold and then for only a few minutes usually. When I turn on the auto climate setting from the Off position, it does default to recirculate in the summer, at least but then I turn it over to fresh.

This is frustrating o_O I'm curious to hear from other drivers are experiencing the same issues?

·
Working Class Hero
3,570 Posts
2016 3s gt. Auto climate works as intended. Fan speed adjusts itself through full range. Recirc switches to fresh as cabin temperature stabilizes. Never a need to manually change any settings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
We hit 95 here the other day and I got into my car after it sat in the sun in parking lot at work all day. Hit auto, left it at 70 and never touched it again.

Maybe blow out the little interior air sensor that's to the right of the steering wheel. They get clogged with dust after awhile and can't get a good reading, causing the system to not work properly. My dad's Acura had the auto climate freaking out until I took a can of compressed air and blew out that little sensor (they sometimes have a tiny fan). It worked fine from then on.

Edit: I just remembered that my air flow felt severely restricted and then I realized that I hadn't replaced the cabin air filter in two years. Swapped the filter and the air flow is much stronger now so that might be something else to look into.

This is what the interior air sensor looks like....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not an automotive expert but I had the same thought and even shrugged when talking to the service writer "maybe there's sensors that need to be cleaned? I don't know" I will get some canned air and give that a try, now that I know where the sensor is!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm not an automotive expert but I had the same thought and even shrugged when talking to the service writer "maybe there's sensors that need to be cleaned? I don't know" I will get some canned air and give that a try, now that I know where the sensor is!
A Nissan dealer told my father his air conditioning was probably bust on his 10 year old car since the cold air flow was feeble. I discovered nobody had replaced the pollen filter and all was fine after I replaced it! Perhaps try that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I picked up a can of compressed gas duster and blasted that sensor pretty well, but it's still performing the same. The main cabin filter I had replaced a couple of months ago and it was dirty but not to the point of being restrictive. It sounds like it's time to bring her back to the dealer and complain again o_O

·
Registered
2 Posts

It seems this is a common issue with Mazda Automatic Climate Control. When I purchased my 2019 Mazda 3 (new) in January 2020 (cold weather), I had a major issue where the AC would blow out hot air to warm the interior up before it stabilized. The volume of hot air was stifling. Having had many cars before I knew this was not normal. I took to the dealer and they didn't seem to know what I'm talking about or understand the problem. It was only after weeks of researching and emailing Mazda Head office that I came across a service bulletin that identified and offered a solution to the problem I had. When I contact the Mazda dealer they said this service bulletin may not specifically apply to my car so I printed the bulletin and took the print out into the dealer to have the repair done. They did the software update specified and the problem has been non-existent ever since. This may not specifically apply to your vehicle but hope this info can help. The service bulletin I found online after googling Mada AC Blowing Hot Air was: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165346-0001.pdf

This was the bulletin that solved the issue in my 2019 Mazda 3.

Best of luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts