2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... so maybe not so anonymous.

I'm Sean and I became addicted 2 years ago when I was in Texas.
I started out in NHS but then got my two wins and decided to move into HS. I was totally in love with this sport.
With the air intake and short throw shifter I think i'm qualified for STS unfortunately.

I haven't been out in over a year and I'm still yearning to do it again.
Who else is addicted? Interested?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
sounds like fun!! i miss zoom zoom live where we had an opportunity to autocross there with there cars, lol! if i auto cross i need to change my wheels

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this thread is prety old thread, but i just went saturday to y first autocross event and im now totally hooked... i just wish i could have gotten to drive my car :( instead of driving my buddies car up (long story)

·
Registered
33 Posts
pittsburgh events are actually cheaper than i thought,
Beaver Run is $40 and North Park is only $20 for the day so i only gotta worry bout tires

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a quad so the helmet is taken care of...
i picked up a set of 16s with winter tires, and then ill take the winters off and get some tires to autocross with

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey all, i know that this thread is a month old already, but it looks really cool so my question is , what does it take to autocross from the point you buy the car you want to do it in, to the point of being in an event driving. totally new to this sort of thing and any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have never autocrossed my 3, but I have a friend who runs the local club.

Here is the advice I can give you:

1. find your local autocross events. I suggest looking at an SCCA event (Sports Car Club of America)
2. find date, time, place, contact info, etc...
3. register early (early registration is usually cheaper, and is even cheaper if you become a registered member of the SCCA)
4. show up the day/time of event to make sure your car passes tech (technical inspection, they make sure stuff is up to par with safety regulations and they figure out which class your car fits into.) I know the 3 is in "H-Stock" and depending on what mods you've done I think there is an "H-Mod" class. (There are tons of other classes)
5. walk the course and prep your vehicle (tire pressure and whatever else you need to do)
6. race, have, fun, meet people, learn stuff (most events will run in different heats and might ask you to "work" when you're heat is not racing. you may have to pick up cones, or any number of things)

I also recommend that you go out as a passenger with other drivers especially drivers who are good. You learn about speed, gearing, lines, etc... that you might figure out until later on in the day, and they really help your time! Talk to as many people as you can... everyone is usually super cool and I guarantee there are some awesome Miata owners who will answer a million questions and help you with any problem or question pertaining to your car.

Other information... You need to wear a helmet and sign an insurance form and waiver. Most SCCA events will provide some form of insurance just in case and usually helmets are provided or you can borrow on from another person. Someone always has an air compressor and can help you with that. Be sure to bring a snack or lunch. It is usually a long day and since you are racing in a big parking lot, you may or may not be around places that sell food! I'm almost positive there are no alcoholic beverages permitted just as an FYI.

Oh yeah... Always listen to the people working the event... it is for your safety and the well being of others!

I hope that helps... I only know this stuff from being at a number of events, having a buddy who is important in my local SCCA chapter, talking to others, and riding along as a passenger! It is a blast and my friend races every weekend and everyday during the season he asks when I'm coming out to run! This will probably be the year so I will be much more active in this section!

Reactions: RedcornMZ3

·
Registered
987 Posts
too bad i bought my 3 @ the end of the season. last time i auto-x'd was about 5 yrs ago in my tuned civic. placed 2 sec behind a fully tuned 5.0 mustang and about 3 behind a vette. but 2 and 3 sec is a lot of time.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Man i am totally excited to check out an event now, see what it entails and all that. Thanks alot!
Not a problem! Once the season starts back up again I hope there will be more activity here! Sharing times, videos, and of course pics!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Ha i dont even know when autocross season is shows literally how much i know about it. i could search it i suppose lol.
It might be different in Texas, but when there is snow on the ground... we don't race. I don't know the exact time, but it takes place in the warmer months here. Spring, summer, and fall!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hopefully driving her new zoom zoom Mazda3 will have my wife itching to go autocrossing. She did a few wild turns in the empty parking lot by home depot today. And she asked me what a set of extra tires and rims would cost for the Mazda3. I've no idea about that, but I'm sure I can find out.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hopefully driving her new zoom zoom Mazda3 will have my wife itching to go autocrossing. She did a few wild turns in the empty parking lot by home depot today. And she asked me what a set of extra tires and rims would cost for the Mazda3. I've no idea about that, but I'm sure I can find out.
I wish my significant other was that much fun!!! I installed my CorkSport SRI and took her for a ride... she liked the sound but was holding on to dear life while I accelerated!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts