2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has taken their 3 to autox? How did it do? Any tips or pointers?

I'm thinking about taking mine to one next month, and that got me thinking about what transmission setting would be best for my auto 2.5. Sport mode obviously - but to leave it in drive and use the paddles, or to switch it over to manual mode and use the paddles, I don't know....

I was playing with it yesterday, and boy, does that transmission like to hold gears when you're paddling in drive, not! And in the manual mode, it'll at least hold the gear I'm in, but there's a great delay when hitting the paddle approaching redline. It stuck to the limiter a couple times, maybe a tune would remedy this....

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have but then again i dont have an auto. I did pretty decen placed 4th out of 16 cars was the only mazda in a crowd of civics.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Put it in whatever mode will keep it in second. You won't have to shift after that. Also, pump up the pressure in your tires to about 40psi

As far as autocross tips go
1. Keep your eyes up, try to look at the next corner and the corner after the corner after that.
2. Slow in, fast out. If your tires are screeching you are scrubbing off speed.
3. Just have fun and take pics and video

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've taken mine and it was awesome and I will be taking it again! Though the stock Prius tires were kind of killing the fun...I didn't notice that much difference with the stability control on or off, except one time when I tried to power through a corner and it started cutting the power off as the wheels started to spin. But it wasn't a proper fwd technique anyways, I'm still learning and a total newb at it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking forward to seeing the dynamics of the car, this is my first fwd car and I've had the rear end try to come out a few times over the past month and a half I've had it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So the off button will get rid of traction control allowing wheel spin for putting down power, but stability control will still kick in when the rear end rotates

This is solved by pulling the abs fuse, it is a 30amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. YMMV, proceed at your own risk! Pulling it will disable your abs along with all the electronic nannies. It also makes the keyless system go nuts, airbag light flashes, and cuts the power steering... maybe some other stuff too. Only way to turn the engine off while the fuse is out is, foot on the brake and press and hold the push button start for 5 seconds ish. Here is the christmas tree from just pulling that one fuse:

As far as driving it went (i have the sGT with auto), I found the best way for me was to put it in manual mode and shift using the shifter, the paddles turn with the wheel and I lost track of which paddle was where. For the launch off the line, you can brake torque because of the torque converter. I found that the transmission liked being launched at 1500, it gave a peppy launch with a little wheel spin. Launching it without bringing the rpms up, the transmission would lag a little and bog on takeoff.

This is my first fwd car, and I found out that it looooves heavy trail braking going into nearly every corner - as much as I could brake without locking em up. This is also the first time I've driven a car hard without abs, I learned a bit from it:

She could use some suspension loving to say the least, check this roll:

Almost tripoding here, heavy trail braking into a corner :)

Oh yeah, pulling that abs fused allowed me to cut at least half a second off my times. Not too shabby

·
Registered
184 Posts
but there's a great delay when hitting the paddle approaching redline. It stuck to the limiter a couple times, maybe a tune would remedy this....
Finally someone else who agrees with me on this :D I had a moan about it a while back, but the consensus was that most people thought it was quick, or that they didn't notice it.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ngine-performance/58050-6at-shift-delays.html

I have just learned to shift 'early', which of course varies depending on all sorts of conditions - meh.

Also, with the ABS fuse out, how was the steering feel? Is it OK (but a little heavy) once rolling?

Also, with mine, I noticed that I was still getting traction control interference after turning off the systems, even using the long-press method.

Still a little scared to autox mine - scared of breaking the transmission again lol.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
i think there is a RSB in your future...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. I have just learned to shift 'early', which of course varies depending on all sorts of conditions - meh.

2. Also, with the ABS fuse out, how was the steering feel? Is it OK (but a little heavy) once rolling?

3. Also, with mine, I noticed that I was still getting traction control interference after turning off the systems, even using the long-press method.
1. Yeah, I ended up hitting the shifter in 1st gear at 5k and it would make the shift closer to 6k under WOT. A pita, but not too hard to compensate for.

2. Well, it's like no power steering :lol: it's hefty at a stop but once you get a little speed going, no problem.

3. Think I may have mentioned this earlier, but the press and hold will NOT turn the tc off! It will put the tc ON and send it into diagnostic mode, got that bit of info from the user manual :)

Cliffnotes: if you want stability control off, the 30 amp abs fuse must be pulled. See my above post for complications of that (basically, all assists are turned off and a couple other things too). Just hitting the tc off button does exactly as it says, it will let you spin your wheels but stability control and whatever other nannies will still linger. I used the tc off button on the drive home through some canyons (latigo in malibu area specifically) and didn't have any tc intervention.

Ymmv! Proceed at your own risk!

·
Registered
55 Posts

She could use some suspension loving to say the least, check this roll:

Almost tripoding here, heavy trail braking into a corner :)

Oh yeah, pulling that abs fused allowed me to cut at least half a second off my times. Not too shabby
Holy body roll batman! Looks like you had a blast tho!

I've had mine out a few times now. I have the corksport springs and RSB. car does great!!! We have a very tight course that's a bit more technical than others I've done, (Mostly I do road course racing with a Camaro, so it was a bit of a change) Suprisingly, the mazda does really well autocrossing, got beat down hard by a few miatas and a BMW Z4, But I smoked my friend's R32 GTR (lol helps he's been autocrossing for a few years and still can't remember the course :blush 1: )

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah, I was freaking out when I finished autox. Popped the fuse back in and turned the car on, CEL!

Closed the hood and the CEL turned off.... :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts