2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm taking my 2010 Mazda3 2.0L (automatic) autocrossing tomorrow, and was wondering for those of you who autocross, what do you do to prep before-hand? I've already changed oil and done a couple of other things.

Thanks,
-Gunner

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Higher tire pressure, helmet, double check your car, make sure nothing is loose or free in the car. Any mods on your car?

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
If you are stock, expect some understeer. If you have some mods, it may help some but suspension and tires make the biggest difference. Put the car in manual mode and don't go higher than second gear. Also, air up the tires a bit more than normal and secure any loose items. Keep the spare tire in place as it help balance the car some. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. I've done 2+ years of autocross in my car and starting on the 3rd this year

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
For a first timer, I'd argue against that.
Why? The traction control only gets in the way. It's not rwd. He isn't going to start drifting

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Start slow, don't be afraid to baby your car and slowly learn its limits, don't wanna go crazy when you first start. It takes time and practice just like with anything.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Why? The traction control only gets in the way. It's not rwd. He isn't going to start drifting

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature
Because if it is your first time driving like that, you will want to mash the pedal when coming out of a turn and spin tires which will do nothing for you except eat your tires. I'd say do a few runs with it on just to learn the track and how the car puts down its power. After you feel comfortable, turn it off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gotta disagree too. DCS gives the car an unwanted effect and if you learn to cross with it on and then turn it off your going to change your timing and style to adjust to it. I think best to learn with it off. I also drive with it off when I'm hammering mtn roads n driving hard. I don't want to come out of a turn and not get the exact reaction I expect and ask for from the car.

Anyway how did you do? Can't imagine you didn't love it!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi friends!

So I was going through some posts on here and I came across this one, and I totally forgot to respond to it, and I've been working with my 2 other cars, so the Axela is on hold.

I've actually been three times since that first run. And I have to say, it is the most fun I have ever had. Ever. I like autocross because not only is it fun, but it also gives you a superior sense of what your car does at the limit and how to react to it.

The first autocross I attended, it was in the Oakland Coliseum (where the Raiders play). Just like California, track conditions were dry. My car was not equipped with traction control from the factory, as its a 2010, and I believe 2012 was the year that it was mandatory.

The Mazda3 is a very easy and forgiving car to learn on, but the tires that the car comes with (at least the 16's) were utterly terrible. As said above, there is definitely understeer there. There was also no power at about 30mph, as first gear is too low and 2nd is too high for the 5 speed.

On the plus side, I was able to out-pace my friend with the NEW 2013 Ford Focus ST by 3 seconds. I was able to beat a few Miatas and some E30's. Wasnt really keeping track of who I beat, as I was having too much fun (even with the automatic).

My fastest run was the second run, as my third run I hit a turn too hard and had serious understeer. The problem with my class placement is that I had lowering springs on my car, and no other upgrades. Thus, I was put into a class with semi-insane cars.

My second time autocrossing was at Mather AFB in Sacramento, CA (my hometown!). The track was setup for Corvettes, and thus I was at a slight disadvantage. But, I realized one of the strengths of the Mazda3 chassis is its high speed stability, as noticed on that track and on the freeway during spirited driving, as well as in the canyons.

I was still on the stock Turanza EL400's but I was able to use what little grip they had to my advantage. I put my car in stock class, because the lowering springs I got honestly are not much different than the stock other than that they are lower and just a tad stiffer.

The track was long as well, with many times hitting over 60 seconds. I didnt do so well because of the lack of power.

I am going to my third event at Oakland in the Coliseum again this weekend. No further mods have been done to the car, as I am saving money for my other 2 cars (MBZ 240D, CRX). The car does ride on brand new Cooper Zeon RS3-A high performance all season rubber, so I hope it does better than what it had.

Thanks for the help guys! And dont think I didnt read this before I went my first time, because I did. I just forgot to respond.

-Josh

·
Mazda Enthusiast
106 Posts
What are the requirements for auto crossing? I have never done it and have absolutely NO experience with it. I would love to try it out a time but I think I'm more scared about people making fun of me if anything or getting "shown up". Answers please cause I would love to do this at least once for the experience and I do love dipping around everyday streets with much gusto.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are the requirements for auto crossing? I have never done it and have absolutely NO experience with it. I would love to try it out a time but I think I'm more scared about people making fun of me if anything or getting "shown up". Answers please cause I would love to do this at least once for the experience and I do love dipping around everyday streets with much gusto.

There are no requirements for autocrossing except that you need a helmet (that you can usually borrow from SCCA) and your car needs to pass safety inspection.

People dont make fun of other people there. Everyone is super cool and you can get some good tips from experienced people. Heck, if anyone should have been made fun of, it should have been me with the automatic.

Also, how much did that rear sway bar run you, and did it make a difference?

·
Mazda Enthusiast
106 Posts
The suspension upgrades would put you in the STF class.
There are no requirements for autocrossing except that you need a helmet (that you can usually borrow from SCCA) and your car needs to pass safety inspection.

People dont make fun of other people there. Everyone is super cool and you can get some good tips from experienced people. Heck, if anyone should have been made fun of, it should have been me with the automatic.

Also, how much did that rear sway bar run you, and did it make a difference?
What is STF class, is that close to stock and noob?

well with the description it sounds really awesome.

I believe the RSB cost me around 170.

Super difference in daily driving corner speed for me went up like 10-15 mph in my regular daily driving, without me feeling like i needed to readjust my a$$.

but the racing beat i want to say is perfect for a daily driver car, if u plan on hitting tracks more seriously then i suggest going with a stiffer one, but like i said Racing Beat is great!

·
ZOOM'IN around Mid-Ohio
212 Posts

I felt the same but was checking it out last Sunday. There was everything from a Porsche to a Civic running. They were more interested in the personal times then anything else(course they weren't competing). It did not seem intimidating at all and am planning on trying as well. Bring or borrow a Helmet and Torque wrench.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
You will probably want to drive with both feet to keep your rev's up, twist your seat-belt a couple times and make it as tight as possible, and another minor idea is either going to the track with a full tank of gas or just enough for the track. just my 2cents. good luck.
Both feet isn't necessary. Once you shift to second, you shouldn't need to shift anymore, so both hands on the wheel when you arne't shifting. Twisting your seatbelt is the dumbest idea ever, why hinder what it does? you won't slide around too much esp if you hands are on the wheel correctly. And go with about a half tank of gas for better weight balance but still reducing it compared to a full tank.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Autocross is a blast. I personally just get out when I can and don't worry to much about how full my gas tank is, or locking my seat belt or anything, I just get out a drive. The great thing about autocross is that it really is just against your self and everyone I've ever met doing it has been helpful and friendly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts