2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an AT 2.5L and I much prefer to drive it in sports mode as the torque is always there ready to go and throttle is more responsive and it is easier to maintain speed.
The thing is, when cruising, the rpm would sit between 3k to 4k, compared to normal mode (1.5k to 2k cruise).

Do you think I will wear the engine faster/making it prone to damage if I drive in sports mode every day? (average drive consists of mix of urban/highway/slight constant stops at certain part of congested road)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Running in sport mode all the time won't hurt anything, but you will burn a bit more gas, as the AT is reluctant to upshift in conditions when it probably should (i.e., low load/constant speeds). You do realize that you can use the paddles or shifter to manually up/down shift, right? So next time if you're cruising along at a steady speed (which sounds like around 65~70 MPH based on your RPM numbers), instead of waiting for the AT to do it for you, manually upshift to 6th to bring the revs down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sport mode and paddler shifters kinda makes me wish I got the automatic transmission instead of the manual

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use sport + paddle shifters basically every single time I drive.
Like OP mentioned, in automatic + sport mode, when it tends to sit on higher rpms when we know it isn't needed (which is almost always) you can just upshift yourself to a higher gear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool - didn't think of that. I always associate paddle shift = when it is in manual mode.
Sometimes I do like to have the engine sits at 3k plus though (ie. when I expect the traffic will clear out and will have a chance to move).

·
Mazda Fresher
118 Posts
That's the one thing I wish my GT3 had, paddles. I guess it was an additional option? But yes, whenever I'm in Sport and full auto, and it's cruising along, I'll pop it into manual to get it into a better gear. Same as suggested.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Running in sport mode all the time won't hurt anything, but you will burn a bit more gas, as the AT is reluctant to upshift in conditions when it probably should (i.e., low load/constant speeds). You do realize that you can use the paddles or shifter to manually up/down shift, right? So next time if you're cruising along at a steady speed (which sounds like around 65~70 MPH based on your RPM numbers), instead of waiting for the AT to do it for you, manually upshift to 6th to bring the revs down.
What this guy said...

Mine is Manual but I like to drive around in 5th around the city to have a bit more power on tap but that's only when the Right Foot is in Sport Mode (the car is always in Sport+ Mode, LOL)

I can't see ALWAYS doing it, mainly for gas mileage. I don't know how you're running around town purring along at 3-4k. Hahaha.

Sport mode and paddler shifters kinda makes me wish I got the automatic transmission instead of the manual
Your manual is ALWAYS in Sport Mode. What are you complaining about? Blame your right foot for not enjoying it more often.

Paddle shifters are a whole other subject. Should have bought the auto then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts