2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2013 Mazda 3 Sky automatic about 1k miles ago. It just hit 90k so I figured I'd do some maintenance since the car is new to me.

Well, I pulled out the the trans dipstick and it has RED fluid inside. It's definitely not the correct blue fz stuff Mazda swears needs to be used in their cars. I have the correct stuff on hand, should I swap it in? It will be a weird mix then since doing a trans fluid drain and replacement doesn't get all of the fluid...

And just now to make things worse, I snapped the fucking dipstick in the trans. Probably about a 1-2in. piece of plastic is now in my transmission. How fucked am I?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I called up the local Mazda dealers to see what they had to say. According to one, Mazda hasn't used blue ATF in 15 years. I tried to explain that I bought Mazda's special skyactive ATF from his store, but nope, they absolutely don't have blue ATF. Incredibly helpful.

I called a different dealer out of state as mine were closing and they said yes, it absolutely should be the blue FZ stuff. Also, the dipstick piece will be caught by the filter, or at the worst get disintegrated by the transmission. Doesn't sound great, but not terrible. I've put about 50 miles on it since and it sounds and feels like normal. I think I'm just going to do a replacement of the ATF asap, then change it again on my next oil change, then change it again on the next oil change, and call it flushed. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The screen in the transmission should keep the piece of dipstick out of the transmission. I've found a small maybe 8mm dia piece of road rock in one of mine. No idea of how it got there but it didn't hurt anything.
If you think the red and blue fluids are compatible I'd just change as much as I could remove with a trans fluid sucker each time I did an oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The screen in the transmission should keep the piece of dipstick out of the transmission. I've found a small maybe 8mm dia piece of road rock in one of mine. No idea of how it got there but it didn't hurt anything.
If you think the red and blue fluids are compatible I'd just change as much as I could remove with a trans fluid sucker each time I did an oil change.
Thanks, Mike, that's reassuring. I'm going to just believe you're an expert since you already sound more competent than the Mazda dealer folks.

Yeah, that's the gist of what I'm going to try. I've heard mixed answers on what the dealer will actually do regarding a "flush" anyway with some suggesting they don't even use the machine to completely flush the trans anymore. I'll let you guys know if my trans goes out, here's to hoping it doesn't!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts