2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing a towing hitch, and pulling a MyPod or some other small trailer, total weight no more than 1-1.2K lb, tongue weight 100 lb or less.
Parsing past threads, though not approved in the US for towing, elsewhere in the world, Australia eg, towing with the 3 is ok. Evidently OEM towing setups there seem capable of handling the above weight parameters.
The cooling of the automatic transmission seems to be the major concern.
My questions: does my auto tranny have a transmission cooler? Would it be up to towing? And if not, can an auxiliary cooler be installed? And if so, where can I source one?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
There is a transmission (oil cooler) on these motors. It is not a "radiator" style cooler however, and there are no lines carrying trans fluid. It is attached directly to the transmission and if you look down you will see a cylinder with two 5/8 barbs and 90* hose coming in/out for coolant. Basically the coolant is used to cool the trans fluid via convection. The way to add a trans cooler would be to plumb a generic or brand name cooler from ebay for something into the coolant system. You could even daisy chain it into the line that goes in or out of the cooler. In fact, the best place would be to chain it into the oem inlet hose and to the cooler from there. They start at like $20.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts