2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Mazda. I recently traded in my BMW for Mazda 3.

Since my BMW had automatic headlights, I have a habit of leaving mine on. I read in the manual that the headlights will turn off automatically after a certain time. I have that set to 30 seconds.

It also mentioned that it will drain the battery. I don't understand this part. If the headlights shut off automatically after a certain time which is pretty short, how will it drain the battery?

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
988 Posts
They will drain the battery only if they are left on Parking Lights mode. On this mode LED's of the car are constantly ON.

Lights Switch Lever Modes:
OFF-> Auto->Parking Lights->ON

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. In my case, I only have the following:

OFF->Parking->ON

So as long as it is not on Parking I am fine.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I set mine up to turn off after 1 minute. Even in parking mode, mine shuts off at 1 minute.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am new to Mazda. I recently traded in my BMW for Mazda 3.

Since my BMW had automatic headlights, I have a habit of leaving mine on. I read in the manual that the headlights will turn off automatically after a certain time. I have that set to 30 seconds.

It also mentioned that it will drain the battery. I don't understand this part. If the headlights shut off automatically after a certain time which is pretty short, how will it drain the battery?

Any insight is appreciated.
well you weren't suppose to anyway. i'm not sure if yours was the e90/LCI or f30 but they all have the auto function. it's the switch to the left where it says A with the headlight logo. my e90 m3 had that and there was no problem with the battery

and with that there's all kinds of gimmicks with the lights where EG. if you park on a street parallel, you can leave the turn signals and what not on as a warning.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Have had "lights automatically on" for one minute after I turn the engine off on my last three cars, and not one has had a battery issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts