2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned an interesting thing about my 2017 3 today and I now have questions.

I had a rock crack my windsheild the other day and the installers informed me that I have a rain and light sensor on my windsheild. I have the base 3 without auto headlights and wipers, so this seemed odd to me.

Since those sensors are there, could I theretically add auto headlights and wipers to my car by swapping out the stalks and doing some light tweaking to the programing?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not sure if you can add them, but I will say after my cracked windshield was replaced, the auto wiper function never worked as well as originally. Ended up turning the feature off and I don't miss the option whatsoever.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
It's the sensors, wiring, different wiper knob/switch that includes (auto mode).
Rain-X windshield fluid will bead water with the heaviest rain downpours.

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
Since those sensors are there, could I theretically add auto headlights and wipers to my car by swapping out the stalks and doing some light tweaking to the programing?
Yes, if the sensors and wiring is there there is no reason why you can't get them to work. The stalks are an easy swap. If you get a headlight stalk, make sure you get the one with a fog light switch also. I believe you'll find that all the wiring for the fogs is present also. Just add lights and a switch and they will work too. :smile2:

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Ours has the rain sensoring, automatic wipers. Both my wife and I hated them, and deeped six that function within a few weeks of getting our car — which thankfully is easy to do in “settings.”

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
I'm with this guy. Never used the features. RainX is my auto wiper function.
Ours has the rain sensoring, automatic wipers. Both my wife and I hated them, and deeped six that function within a few weeks of getting our car — which thankfully is easy to do in “settings.”
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
For you RainX people.... you can have MUCH better with Aquapel (it's like RainX on steroids and lasts 6~8 months), or cheaper with simple paste-wax.

I'm an Aquapel guy and have been for nearly 15 years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not sure if you can add them, but I will say after my cracked windshield was replaced, the auto wiper function never worked as well as originally. Ended up turning the feature off and I don't miss the option whatsoever.
This usually means the installer made an error. Usually they forget a gasket between sensor and windhsield, dont snap it on correctly or break a tab.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For you RainX people.... you can have MUCH better with Aquapel (it's like RainX on steroids and lasts 6~8 months), or cheaper with simple paste-wax.

I'm an Aquapel guy and have been for nearly 15 years.
Used Aquapel for years, always thought it was better than RainX. I stopped using it last year when I noticed the wipers were skipping across the glass (Aquapel was applied approx 3 months earlier). When I removed all traces of the Aquapel, the skipping stopped. Not sure why, but I think perhaps the Aquapel coating was wearing away in spots on the glass, leading to a variation in surface slickness. Never bothered to reapply, didn't see the need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts