2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 3 did not come with auto-folding mirrors but do electrically fold using the mirror knob. I sent an enquiry to my local dealer about getting the kit fitted and they told me that it's no longer available and can't be fitted, sounds like bull to me to be honest, especially when it's still listed on Mazda's website as an available accessory.

Does anyone have access to a PDF version of the fitting instructions? I'd like to see myself what's involved and that'll determine whether to waste my time with it. Also, has anyone had any mirrors fail with constantly folding in and out? I worked for a Merc dealer once and one of the common complaints was noisy folding mirrors or folding mirrors that stopped folding.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hello, my 3 did not come with auto-folding mirrors but do electrically fold using the mirror knob. I sent an enquiry to my local dealer about getting the kit fitted and they told me that it's no longer available and can't be fitted, sounds like bull to me to be honest, especially when it's still listed on Mazda's website as an available accessory.

Does anyone have access to a PDF version of the fitting instructions? I'd like to see myself what's involved and that'll determine whether to waste my time with it. Also, has anyone had any mirrors fail with constantly folding in and out? I worked for a Merc dealer once and one of the common complaints was noisy folding mirrors or folding mirrors that stopped folding.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/.../94714-how-install-power-folding-mirrors.html

·
Registered
178 Posts

I always forget to fold in my Mirrors when i should so if you find part numbers and or place to purchase please post and let us know, I would appreciate it, and if I find it I will post the information.

Found this: http://mazda-3.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/...or/accessory=Auto+Folding+Mirror+Kit/id=15770

and this: http://www.etoni.com.my/products/Car-side-mirror-auto-fold/127

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi there
I posted on doing this upgrade 3 years ago my posts are still around in this forum. The Mazda kit for the 2014 - 2016 cars is a relay which fits in the door together with the necessary wiring harness to fit it into the circuitry behind the driver side window switch panel. The very detailed IKEA like pictorial instructions are over 50 pages long with variations for all the different models LHD and RHD and need to be followed exactly.

This kit is for European cars which have powerfolding mirrors but which don't fold automatically

remove door cards - unplug the multiconnectors behind the window switch panel - withdraw 4 wires from the multiconnectors - insert new wires into the new connectors from the relay harness - insert previously withdrawn wires into the new connectors that are part of the relay harness - insert the new connectors into the old multiconnectors - add an extra new wire from the new harness into the door lock connector - that's all there is to it.

The difficulty comes in withdrawing the wires from the original multiconnectors - there is a real knack to this and a real danger of damaging them if not done properly. Practice on the wires and connectors that are part of the kit to ensure that you can do this step properly before attemting to do it on the car in the very confined limits of the door wiring.

If anyone is interested I can give a complete description of how to withdraw the wires from the connectors without damaging them.

Regarding the reliability
As I said I did this upgrade over three years ago and it has been 100% reliable. The mirrors have folded and unfolded every single time without fail even with 30cm of snow on top of them. I have been very happy with them

One oddity is that these mirrors fold when the car is locked - including with the automatic walk away locking (a very useful visual check that the car has self locked) but unlike other cars I have had they do not unfold when the car is unlocked, instead they unfold when the ignition is started. other than that they work fine

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi there
I posted on doing this upgrade 3 years ago my posts are still around in this forum. The Mazda kit for the 2014 - 2016 cars is a relay which fits in the door together with the necessary wiring harness to fit it into the circuitry behind the driver side window switch panel. The very detailed IKEA like pictorial instructions are over 50 pages long with variations for all the different models LHD and RHD and need to be followed exactly.

If anyone is interested I can give a complete description of how to withdraw the wires from the connectors without damaging them.
Hello and thanks for the reply. I have found a few online, from 10 to 90 dollars, and ebay is the easiest way for me to purchase. I have the Japanese model high trim 3 here in the Philippines with electric mirrors. If you have a link to the one you used, obviously that one does work, and the instructions, I would appreciate the link and information about the wires.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts