2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Computers are not unpredictable, just misunderstood! :)

I just thought I would share this, because I suspect many others might wonder why the doors are not auto-locked at times when we might expect them to be auto-locked.

I've had my MZ3 2017 for about 9 months now, and I enabled the feature that automatically locks all the doors when the key in my pocket is no longer detected by the car's proximity sensor. I like this feature, because I never have to remember to lock the doors, and I can always just leave the key in my pocket.

However, sometimes when I come back to my car, later on, it's unlocked!! WTH! I have valuables in there, and that's NOT okay!

Well, I think I finally figured out what the issue is.

My son loves to be slow at times when people are waiting for him! I think he knows it annoys people, and it's a control thing (whatever), so I am constantly telling him, "c'mon, we're waiting!" I discovered the other day, that I had closed my door and walked away from the car while he still had his door open but was taking a long time to get out and close the door. BINGO! I realized the car did not do the normal beep-and-lock. And I also realized this annoyance probably has never happened when I'm out with the car by myself.

So, the car only does an auto-lock when these conditions happen in the enumerated order:
1. a door is open
2. key is near
3. all doors closed
3. key is not near (while doors all closed)

If those conditions are not met in that order, the doors will not auto lock.

realistic example:
1. a door is open
2. key is near
3. key is not near (while a door is open)
4. all doors closed

3 and 4 happened out of the expected order, so auto-lock won't happen.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't understand why would it autolock if you have a door open or when the key is near. Makes no sense.

Isn't the whole point of the system is that if you're away from the car and you forget the lock the vehicle, it will autolock itself?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was washing my car one day and unlocked all doors by pressing twice on the remote. After 60-90 seconds, the car locked itself again which kind of pissed me off as I needed to access the hatch. Also why did Mazda remove the trunk release button on the hatchback model but kept it for the sedan.

·
Registered
348 Posts
no sir. my edit added a 'd' at the end of the word 'close'. nothing else was edited. re-read
I re-read your post and I don't quite understand. You stated that the car will auto lock in enumerated order you listed. So what's the point of auto locking the car when the door is open?

As I stated earlier, I unlocked all doors via remote. I was standing NEXT to the car with the keys in my pocket when doing a car wash but the car still autolocked after 60-90 seconds. So that disproves the statement that it will NOT autolock when the key is near. Unless your system is different than my GT.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(sigh)
I never mentioned a scenario where the doors auto-locked when not expected--that scenario has nothing to do with the post. I did mention a scenario when the doors did not auto-lock when expected.

first example; doors auto-lock, as expected:
So, the car only does an auto-lock when these conditions happen in the enumerated order:
1. a door is open
2. key is near
3. all doors closed
3. key is not near (while doors all closed) <-- should be number 4--oopsie
second example; doors do not auto-lock:
realistic example:
1. a door is open
2. key is near
4. all doors closed
the numbers are to enumerate the order that events happen (in time; not coincident) to describe a scenario of how things play out, so there is no mutually exclusive events happening at the same time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have seen the same thing as OP, wife is the culprit... but i'll never say anything, But now i'll be aware
Thanks for pointing out this hiccup Gruuvin!
Gary

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was washing my car one day and unlocked all doors by pressing twice on the remote. After 60-90 seconds, the car locked itself again which kind of pissed me off as I needed to access the hatch. Also why did Mazda remove the trunk release button on the hatchback model but kept it for the sedan.
If I'm understanding this right, your car was locked, you unlocked it but didn't open anything for a set amount of time so it relocked itself? This is standard operation across a lot of car brands. I'm pretty sure all of my cars I've had with remote locks has done this. Can't think of one that hasn't. To keep it from doing this, you just have to open and close a door real quick. (Of course, if you have the walk away lock feature enabled, it'll relock once the key walks away from the antennas.)

As for opening the trunk with doors locked, as long as you have the key on you, it is possible to open the hatch using the hatch release in it's door without unlocking anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I stated earlier, I unlocked all doors via remote. I was standing NEXT to the car with the keys in my pocket when doing a car wash but the car still autolocked after 60-90 seconds.
Also, since you brought the other scenario, I'll add that scenario does happen to me at times too, but ONLY when the key is outside of the proximity. I've also had it happen often while washing the car. The proximities are very small, and there are three of them, one on each front door and one on the rear hatch. You only need to move the key a couple feet away from all of these proximities to trigger an auto-lock action. So, even if you are NEXT to the car, if your key is not within a few inches of any of those three zones, then it'll auto-lock (like maybe you just walk around the front of your car or you step back two feet to spray some water). That's expected! Best thing to do in that situation? Toss your key inside the car while you wash it, and have a spare handy! :)

So that disproves the statement that it will NOT autolock when the key is near. Unless your system is different than my GT.
LOL! I also never said it would auto-lock when the key is near!!! MAN!, I said it would not auto-lock when the key is NOT near, but a door is still open!

(dude, you might wanna go get some coffee and think about something else now, because I think this reading comprehension thing is fouling up your day, and certainly my post!)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Computers are not unpredictable, just misunderstood! :)

I just thought I would share this, because I suspect many others might wonder why the doors are not auto-locked at times when we might expect them to be auto-locked.

I've had my MZ3 2017 for about 9 months now, and I enabled the feature that automatically locks all the doors when the key in my pocket is no longer detected by the car's proximity sensor. I like this feature, because I never have to remember to lock the doors, and I can always just leave the key in my pocket.

However, sometimes when I come back to my car, later on, it's unlocked!! WTH! I have valuables in there, and that's NOT okay!

Well, I think I finally figured out what the issue is.

My son loves to be slow at times when people are waiting for him! I think he knows it annoys people, and it's a control thing (whatever), so I am constantly telling him, "c'mon, we're waiting!" I discovered the other day, that I had closed my door and walked away from the car while he still had his door open but was taking a long time to get out and close the door. BINGO! I realized the car did not do the normal beep-and-lock. And I also realized this annoyance probably has never happened when I'm out with the car by myself.

1. a door is open
2. key is near
3. all doors closed
3. key is not near (while doors all closed)

If those conditions are not met in that order, the doors will not auto lock.

realistic example:
1. a door is open
2. key is near
4. all doors closed

3 and 4 happened out of the expected order, so auto-lock won't happen.
I've had this happen the most with a particular slow passenger. So I've started waiting longer near the vehicle when driving with her. Although I have had instances where it didn't auto-lock when it was just me. I'm not entirely sure why that would happen, but it's like the car doesn't get the signal that the doors are all closed.

I don't understand why would it autolock if you have a door open or when the key is near. Makes no sense.

Isn't the whole point of the system is that if you're away from the car and you forget the lock the vehicle, it will autolock itself?
He's talking about the walk-away lock feature, not the timeout that occurs when you explicitly press the unlock button on the fob. They are two completely different things.

The walk-away lock only works under the conditions that he described above and can be defeated if something happens out of order leaving the car unlocked. There is a setting to enable this feature independently.

If you explicitly press the unlock button on the fob and the doors are closed, they will re-lock themselves. I personally love that feature because I have been known to accidentally bump the unlock button (or the alarm) on my keyfob from it sitting in my pocket as I'm sitting. My 2003 Pontiac Vibe did this and I loved it, but then they removed it from the 2009 models and I felt it less secure.

As for why the trunk release button was removed it's because you don't need to unlock the car separately to open the hatch. Just walk up to it and open it. Just like the unlock button on the doors, the button on the hatch detects your key and unlocks just the hatch. I never need to use the fob to access the hatch on my 2015 Mazda3. I just walk up to it and open it. Give it a try.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is the walk-away feature only for advanced keyless? Because my car doesn't have that.

Yes I need a break. Sorry if I appeared to be rude.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is the walk-away feature only for advanced keyless? Because my car doesn't have that.

Yes I need a break. Sorry if I appeared to be rude.
If you have a GT you should have it. I only have a Touring model with the Tech package and it has it. I think that's all included on the GT models. I forget which menu it's under in settings. It's somewhere near the setting for lights.

EDIT:
I must say that I really like the walk-away feature and use it all the time. I almost never have to manually use the fob. Although I do have to be careful to pay attention to the beep so that I know it locks. There's also a setting to adjust the volume for that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you have a GT you should have it. I only have a Touring model with the Tech package and it has it. I think that's all included on the GT models. I forget which menu it's under in settings. It's somewhere near the setting for lights.
No mate. It's Canadian spec GT which doesn't have advanced keyless standard unless you opt for premium package. I guess it is different in the US.

·
Working Class Hero
3,661 Posts
You don't need to unlock the doors to open the hatch if you have the fob in your pocket. The release button under the hatch lip works when the doors are locked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
@gruuvin i have same problem, with both my son and the auto locks. Have not figured out the method to the madness but i will keep an eye out to see if what you are saying lines up with my experience.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nothing is simple anymore...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts