2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 5 door iSport with bose/moonroof package. It has everything i wanted ( auto w/ shiftronic, power windows and locks, bluetooth and decent sound system), only thing it doesn't have is the auto dimming rearview mirror w/ compass. I have no need for Homelink. I read somewhere and I don't know if this is true or not, but someone said since I have the moonroof package the mirror should basically be plug and play. The dealership gave me some link that the ecu has to be calibrated to work with the mirror, I'm pretty sure that is crap and all you have to do is drive the car in circles to calibrate the compass. Can someone tell me if I have all this right and exactly what parts I need to do this, possibly part numbers. I've seen some write-ups on other forums how to do the Homelink installs, but that doesn't really help me since I may or may not have the wiring already.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
If you get one without homelink, you will only need switched power. Pretty sure you can pick up switched power in the roof console.

ECU has nothing to do with mirror.

I bought a used one with homelink out of a wrecked RX8. If I remember they are Gentex mirrors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yes in order to calibrate it you must drive in a circle or something very similar. it mentions it somewhere in the car manual. if you are interested in one i have one for sale in the classifieds

·
Registered
79 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two different models. One with rain sensing wipers and one without. They are different. I don't have the part number for them. I bought one online (Cardinal Mazda) and was around $130 plus $15 for the harness.

Installation is rather easy. I grabbed power from a junction block located behind the driver's kick panel. Ran it up behind the panel, up the A-pillar and above the headliner. There is a thread on this site about installation. Removing the A-pillar trim is very tricky. There is a clip that holds it on that is very tricky to pop out. This was where I spent most of the installation time.

Search for this other post. It was very detailed and is a good resource for when you finally get around to installing it.

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you plan on tinting your windows I would say don't bother...I have a sport with the auto dimming mirror and after installing the tint it really does not do much anymore unless someone is driving behind me with their high beams on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts