2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can twist the odometer reset peg to the left or right to either dim or brighten the display as well.

I have to do this to brighten the screen when it's a dim morning and I have my headlights on but the display is too dim to easily see.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know there is a day/night/auto option for the infotainment screen within the settings pages, but not sure if there is a way to make them truly automatic (ex - setting a time to switch).

The only way I've found so far (version 25) is to set the Day and Night options to the levels I want, and manually switch them as needed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The auto dimm works when the lights are ON, I mean when you have running lights the screen is set to day, and when you really turn the actual lights the screen changes to night mode, at least that's how the iTouring works.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well, I know the manual setting. I am just wondering if we have an auto setting somewhere that I am not aware of...
This is a Japanese car, not a German car.......doesn't have quite that level of fine-tuning detail.

To do that, you would need multiple light sensors, not just the one for the rain/light sensor (headlamps).

·
Skidigger
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't need to be a German car to have a setting like that. My 80$ Garmin GPS system has a sensor, so it would adjust to a required brightness based on time of the day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
412 Posts
It doesn't need to be a German car to have a setting like that. My 80$ Garmin GPS system has a sensor, so it would adjust to a required brightness based on time of the day.
You can't do dimming based on time of day. What happens if you drive into a tunnel during the daytime? Daylight savings rules vary by province and state.....what happens during a time change? If a Mazda is sold in Florida, where the daytime length does not vary as much between seasons, what happens when that car is moved to Québec, where sunset is at 15:40 during December?

·
Skidigger
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can't do dimming based on time of day. What happens if you drive into a tunnel during the daytime? Daylight savings rules vary by province and state.....what happens during a time change? If a Mazda is sold in Florida, where the daytime length does not vary as much between seasons, what happens when that car is moved to Québec, where sunset is at 15:40 during December?
I am not saying strickly based on the time of the day, but usually around sunset, it should dim automatically since it would be getting dark around that time.
The point is, it should adjust brightness based on the surroundings. I hope, I clarified your questions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am not saying strickly based on the time of the day, but usually around sunset, it should dim automatically since it would be getting dark around that time.
The point is, it should adjust brightness based on the surroundings. I hope, I clarified your questions.
The brightness actually does adjust based on ambiant lighting conditions ... when outside light goes down to a certain level, the car's lights come on, and the display switches to night mode (dim). Sometimes for me, the car switches too soon and the display becomes too dim. On those occasions, I turn the knob on the right side of the tach/speedo (the one you use to reset your odometer) clockwise and it's brighter.

As far as I can tell, the car doesn't have multiple brightness levels ... it seems to be either dim or bright depending on whether the ambient lighting level triggers your headlights to come on. Headlights on = dim, headlights off = bright.

I did see this in the owners manual ...

"The sensitivity of the AUTO lights may be changed by an Authorized Mazda Dealer. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-12."

At this point don't bother because the manual sends you in multiple circles that lead nowhere.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, and in order to do so, you would need multiple light sensors that function semi-independently of the main rain/light sensor used for the headlamp control. Ideally it would all be linked to a light control module that would take multiple inputs and adjust various components of lighting.

For example, on my prior BMW E83 X3, there was a light sensor next to headlight switch on the dash that would tweak the board computer backlighting on the instrument cluster within a certain range. This way, when the lights were on during the daytime (for example, headlamps on during rainy/foggy weather), the board computer would be light at full intensity to be visible. Yet if you were to enter a tunnel, you would find that it would dim even if the headlamps had been on the whole day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
AFAIK, there are two brightness settings of the infotainment screen, one for day and one for night. You can set each of those independently at different levels.

The trigger for when it switches between those two settings is the headlights turning on. In some models that action can be automatic; in my 2015 US 3i Touring, I have to turn the headlights on manually.

Now, if you have a semi-bright but rainy day when you want the headlights on (or you are driving with full lights on all the time) but need the screen brighter, you can override the night setting by twisting the instrument panel dimmer (in the top right of the instrument panel, hidden by the steering wheel for many, and doubles as the button for switching among and resetting the trip odometers) all the way bright, which will kick both the instrument panel and infotainment back to daylight brightness.

It would be simpler if the instrument panel dimmer actually adjusted the level of the infotainment screen as well as the instruments, but it does not, apart from overriding the night setting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Infotainment System Brightness NOT WORKING in "auto" mode

Anyone else here experience their infotainment system brightness not adjusting from "day" to "night" when you have it set on "auto"....??

I know people here have said that the "auto" adjustment of infotainment screen brightness is linked to the turning on and off of headlights, but mine always stays in the "day" mode irrespective of what setting my headlights are on?

My infotainment software version is 55.00.650.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anyone else here experience their infotainment system brightness not adjusting from "day" to "night" when you have it set on "auto"....??

I know people here have said that the "auto" adjustment of infotainment screen brightness is linked to the turning on and off of headlights, but mine always stays in the "day" mode irrespective of what setting my headlights are on?

My infotainment software version is 55.00.650.

Thanks
Next time your headlights turn on turn the trip odometer reset button ever so slightly counter-clockwise. You should see the screen dim a bit. It should then brighten and dim automatically with the headlights. If you have it set clockwise to 'full bright' it will always be on full bright even when the headlamps come on at night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Next time your headlights turn on turn the trip odometer reset button ever so slightly counter-clockwise. You should see the screen dim a bit. It should then brighten and dim automatically with the headlights. If you have it set clockwise to 'full bright' it will always be on full bright even when the headlamps come on at night.
Thanks @PuMoDi, that worked like a charm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts