2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
The auto dimming mirror works fine for me, but it's the first one I've ever had. It dims quickly enough when needed.

My real gripe is getting blinded by the side mirrors, but this will probably happen to every car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not a fan of auto dimming mirrors in general. I didn't care for the one on the 2014 Maxima I rented in September, and I'm not in love with the one on my 3 s GT.
I don't hate mine, but I actually wish there was a manual selection mode on it. :wacko:

·
Registered
412 Posts
They are mostly made by the same manufacturer/supplier across multiple carmakers; the one on the Mazda 3 is a hair oversensitive but no complaints. Surprised one has to get the top GT trim to get it though, its not that much a novelty feature.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ill trade somebody their autodimming for my standard mirror lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like these, they're not always perfect but easier than constantly flipping the manual lever. The dealer can add it when you buy a car, or afterwards for that matter. I install my own if the car doesn't come with one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like these, they're not always perfect but easier than constantly flipping the manual lever. The dealer can add it when you buy a car, or afterwards for that matter. I install my own if the car doesn't come with one.
I'm curious, how often do you flip the mirror back and forth while driving? :blink 1: On all my previous cars, I would just flip the mirror to the night-time setting at night and leave it there as long as it was dark. It didn't take much thought or effort IMO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine is dealer installed and I love it. Sensitivity is just right and there's a power button to disable it if you prefer. Agreed that I still get blinded by the side mirrors. High end luxury cars have auto-dimming on the side mirrors too and perhaps, one day, they could be an option on our Mazdas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really like the Auto Dimming mirror. I have never had one before so it's nice. But as mentioned above... I still get blinded with the side mirrors. And correct me if I'm wrong... but there is a button on there that you simply press to turn off the auto dimm feature. Pyro made a comment about wishing there was this feature.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I really like the Auto Dimming mirror. I have never had one before so it's nice. But as mentioned above... I still get blinded with the side mirrors. And correct me if I'm wrong... but there is a button on there that you simply press to turn off the auto dimm feature. Pyro made a comment about wishing there was this feature.
No, what I want is to be able to set it to 100% dimmed and keep it there. I know that you can turn it on or off already.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
this is what I'm missing! I'll have to get one soon. I do a lot of early morning and evening drives for work and headlights are annoying as hell. Always flipping the rear mirror.

·
Registered
93 Posts
this is what I'm missing! I'll have to get one soon. I do a lot of early morning and evening drives for work and headlights are annoying as hell. Always flipping the rear mirror.
I've obviously been doing things wrong for as long as I've been driving, because I would always just leave the mirror in the night setting if it was dark at all. I never flipped back and forth while driving. :blink 1:

Seriously folks, am I one of the few people that didn't mess with my manual rear view mirror at night and would just set it dimmed and leave it that way until it was day again? :confused1 1:

·
Registered
348 Posts
The side view mirror adjusted correctly should only have lights in your eyes if the car is sitting beside you / in the blind spot. Any car following behind you should only be visible in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wired up my mirror last night... I bought the Genk51a and had it in my truck and moved it to the new car but hadn't wired it up until last night.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No, what I want is to be able to set it to 100% dimmed and keep it there. I know that you can turn it on or off already.
It dims by sensing the difference between front and back light. Try covering the front sensor with a piece of tape. Not exactly what your looking for but may fake it to improve things.

Before that I'd try cleaning the mirror really well to make sure everything is getting the right signals.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I detest the auto dimming mirror my mazda3 came with.

I think it's a piece of crap. Slow to dim, and doesn't dim at all if the car is too far away, or too close.

Yeah, if someone wants to swap, for their normal mirror, I'm totally up for that.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Having had auto dimming mirror on my 02' maxima I've become accustomed to it and love the function. My last car did not have auto dimming mirror and I was often blinded by cars at night, especially those driving with their high beams on. It wasn't until after I got the car tinted, very dark in the back, that I realized I could have flipped the mirror down or something :( But yeah, I like the mirror, no complaints here. Now I don't have to tint the car that dark and still not get blinded by cars from behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts