2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm considering installing the auto dimming mirror w/compass on my new 2013 3 i Grand Touring hatch. Anyone have this that can give me your thoughts on it's functionality? Not looking for install tips, just wondering how it actually functions at night. Does it perform well and really make a difference or is it more of a gimmick?

Planning on the version that does not have the Homelink option (even though this would be convenient) as I read in another thread this feature functions whether the car is running or not. From a security standpoint, I don't think that is such a good idea. Maybe I am missing something on this issue?

I also like the idea of having the compass. Any thoughts on these issues from owners who have this mirror would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump - anyone have this option? Would still like to hear thoughts on it if you do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't have the OEM mazda mirror, but I installed an Autodim compass mirror (gentex) out of a late 90's suburban in my car. It has 3 wires and the compass is internal. Never had an autodim before and I will never go back, night driving is AWESOME! Mirror cost me $10 from a boneyard, and install took ~20 minutes, running wires behind the A pillar air bag was the toughest part as I don't have key power up in the map light area but other than that... super easy. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a stock dinner with compass and with home link. Honestly, love the thing it's awesome. The dimmer works very well especially if a truck or SUV is behind you cause the light is higher.

Honestly the only real reason I wanted it was for home link. It works great and I love not having a separate transponder. What security issue are you referring to? I mean if you have a separate unit for the garage door it gives the same functionality as far as working with the car on or off. It's the same thing as just having a normal remote in the car, just built it so it looks cleaner.

Overall very happy I have it. Love it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hey guys, new owner here.

Looking at doing this too, but with the Homelink. I had this type mirror in my truck and would like to put it in my M3.

Where is everyone buying theirs at? ebay or some other site?

thanks,
jegonzo3

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the home link mirror. Installed auto-dimming with compass on my Tundra. Will never buy another car without. As far as home link goes, not any different from hanging a remote from your visor. Just a cleaner look

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just found a GNTX-313 auto dimming with homelink at the junkyard today .It's an older one..
from a 05 Mazda 6.
Does anyone know where i can find a manual on this, or the wiring diagram?
Im trying to find out if it has the compass as well.. any info is appreciated..

·
Registered
151 Posts
2010 Mazda3 here and I got the auto-dimming mirror with home-link and compass.

Auto-dimming works great. I was concerned that when backing out of the driveway at night, the auto-dimming mirror would get too dark -- like wearing sunglasses at night. But it's intelligent, has a good sensor, and won't activate if it's too dark. I just wished I had auto-dimming side mirrors too.

I see where homelink might be a security hole, but it's a small hole. You have to be targeted specifically rather than be a random victim of opportunity. And modern garages openers use a rolling code and have a vacation lock which ignores the signal.

I use the compass the least, but it lets you know if you are really heading north on an interstate. Also, it's mildly diverting and informative to your passengers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture of your mirror or even the part number? That way if anyone wants THAT mirror, they can find it relatively easily?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Our 2013 GS-SKY with Touring Edition came with the Auto-Dimming mirror. It works very well and we leave it off at all times. A week after buying the car we had tints installed on the car. The tints do a great job at reducing glare so the mirror doesn't work as hard anymore. Still love it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts