2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a thin scratch on the body, its about 1.5 inch long. I know the the rule of thumb is that if the nail canget 'caught' it's deep scratch into the paint, it seems like mine is is still within the clearcoat. I've done some research and read that Meriguie ultimate compound and some buffing will fix it. Some suggest that even a touch up pen will make it a lot less visible (some have bad experience with touch up pen though). So I'm not too comfortable doing the polishing myself, has anyone gotten an auto detailing shop to remove the scratch before and how good are they? If given that they don't over-charge I might just get them to fix the scratch.

Also, from what I understand with buffing, they use sandpaper or grinder to remove a thin layer of the clearcoat so that the scratch becomes less visible then they do the waxing. would this really work or actually worsen the situation because I've read some bad stories about the shop leaving more scratches than before the fix.

Sorry for the long posts but because the car is only 1 week old, I feel bad not fixing it.

Thanks for any input

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, so there is a very good chance that an auto detailing shop will be able to fix it. I'm not to sure if I can do it myself. I'm from Canada.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, most likely the micro-abrasive technology on the liquid will be able to get rid and cut through the scratch. As long as is not a deep scratch it should be able to do wonders. I had many cases in which light scratches on my Mazda 3 were removed with Ultimate Compound, although removing these scratches will require a lot of elbow grease and patience, good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I just keep rubbing ultimate compound on the scratch until it disappear or is there certain process to do it? and do I apply any sort Of wax afterwards?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do I just keep rubbing ultimate compound on the scratch until it disappear or is there certain process to do it? and do I apply any sort Of wax afterwards?
Yeah rub it in pretty well, if you do not notice any change it may be too deep. You will want to put some wax on after because the compound will strip away anything there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see, So the ultimate compound strip away the clear coat? Because I have rust protection done From dealer would the ultimate compound strip away the protection as well?

One other thing is there a certain type of cloth to use for rubbing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts