2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any other posts about this, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to say if this is a warranty issue or if it is normal on the new 3s.

I cannot seem to leave my climate control set at 70 degrees. The colder it is outside, the colder I have to set the temperature. The hotter it is outside, the hotter I have to set the temperature. In other words, I am constantly switching the temperature setting from 68-78 degrees to try to keep the car feeling about 70. It seems to be directly correlated with the outside temperature. If it is hot outside, the ac will push less air through, but stays set to freezing it seems like. If it's cold outside, the ac will stay very hot, and just blow less air. There is no "luke warm" setting it seems. For short drives this is fine, but on longer trips it really shows. We went on a 7 hour drive for a road trip a few weeks ago, driving in outside temperatures that were consistently 100+, and we eventually had the auto climate control set at 85 degrees to make the car feel 70.

The only time it will blow "luke warm" air is if the outside temperature is within the range of the climate control (60-90). When I set the temperature near the outside temperature, then it will blow luke warm. Otherwise, it seems to just stay freezing cold or really hot and just blows less air.

My boyfriend has an 08 Mazdaspeed3, and when we have gone on road trips with it, we leave the climate control set at 70 and don't touch it, which makes me worried that something is wrong with my AC system.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe the temps you set are relative, not actual, that is the way it works on my 1999 Saab 9-5. If you set at 60 then there should be no hot air in the mix. When you set it at the top number (I forget how high it goes) then the mixer should pull all its air through the heater core. When you run it in ACC mode, then the system should calibrate the amount of mix between heater core and not it as it senses the interior temp. If you are running it manually then you have to adjust the temp up or down as needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I fully understand.

With my boyfriend's speed, we leave it set at 70 all the time, whether it's freezing cold out or really hot, his car makes the car feel 70 degrees inside. With mine, I am constantly adjusting to try to keep the car comfortable. I thought the point of setting the auto climate control at 70 was to avoid having to adjust the temperature all the time?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Two thoughts.
You could go back tot he dealer and have them check if the ACC unit is calibrating correctly.
Or you could just turn AutomaticCC off and pick a manual setting for temp and fan speed that you are happy with.
I've always found that I can set temps better than an ACC unit, and use the air co0nditioner less also.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The automatic system is a thermometer attached to the dash. That means if it's sunny out, it'll think it's warmer, and if it's freezing and dark it'll think it's colder.

The temperature you're setting it to is an absolute, and it'll change the mixture to reach that at any time, adding more hot or more cool based upon the temperature on the dash. But the temperature you want is based upon your body temperature and humidity. If your body is warmer, you'll want drier, cooler air, more air, etc; and if your body is colder, you'll want warmer air.

You should get the hang of tweaking it slightly - more air or more AC or less as needed.

Personally, I like getting a cool wash overhead, so I usually leave it venting to the defrosters. (But not in defrost mode! Since the automatic system is crazy about that.)

-Crissa

So far I've had the system crash once during the winter, when going in and out of fog layers in the mountains. It started fogging the windows instead! Instant fogged window. I had to turn everything off to get it to respond. x-x

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sounds normal. When its on auto mode it will try to reach the desired temp as soon as possible. So if its hot outside its gonna blast the ac til the temp goes down then it will usually put the fan in the lowest setting and just maintain that temp but what comes out of the vents will be cold air not 70 degree air.
You gotta remember the temp sensor that it references is in the dash so it measures the relative temp inside the car not the temp of the air coming out of the vents
You'd probably be better off using manual mode since changing the temp on manual will make it blow out closer to the temp you want since the blend door will actually be blending heat and a/c

I use auto mode mostly in the winter and ive always found it to work well enough for me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealership determined that it is normal. They called Mazda engineers and they said when the car is set at 70 degrees, the air actually coming out of the vents is closer to 50 degrees. On long road trips, this eventually equates to the car getting very very cold because it doesn't adjust the temperature any warmer as the car gets colder, it just adjusts the fan speed lower.

Still not sure why the '08 Speed works perfectly while kept at 70 and my '13 Skyactiv doesn't, but guess it must be due to the different electrical systems between the cars. Perhaps either the speed is/was made with a higher quality system, or the system in the new cars is more economical...

·
zoom~
848 Posts
climate control in the mazda isnt the best.

but base on your description, its a bit odd.

Cuz for my system, given the auto mode is on, i crank the dial down to lower the set temperature to have the AC kick in when I'm tired of waiting.

If I want to have warmer air, given its auto, crank up the dial to raise the set temp so the system will heatup the heater core more.

in short: when its in automatic mode, the system should chase after the set point by itself, tho not the fastest.

as mentioned before, its not absolute, just use the setting that's most comfortable to you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My '13 Sky definitely changes the temperature mixture from the vents, without me fiddling the knobs. If the outside air dips up or down, it'll react, even if I'm happy, because the dashboard will change temps.

-Crissa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts