2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems, like infotainment system can recognize audiobooks files and display it in separate menu section.

So, I've try to put any kind of audiobooks with any kind of metadata to USB flash storage. Like mp3, mpeg, aac, m4b. aa. aax.
I've try to set ID3 tag "Genre" to "Audiobook", "audiobook", "speech" etc.
I've try to connect WP and Android smartphones and scan audio collection via MTP protocol.

Nothing works - "Audiobook" menu stay inactive. :blink 1:
The Mazda infotainment system always recognize this files as music. I see all audiobooks files in file browser and can play it. But always in the list with music files.

Anybody know, what format and metadata must be set for audio files on USB storage for recognize as audiobook?

·
Registered
2 Posts
iTunes has a Media Kind option in the Options tab of the Get Info screen. Changing that gets it in the right menu. However, I'm finding that I now have issues getting the audiobooks to play from the Connect menu - I have to hit play on the phone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At last I've found in JCI code, that this menu points active only for iPod/iPhone USB connection.

So, MZD software does not recognize audiobooks and podcasts from regular USB flash drive and Android/Windows devices.

I can't understand why....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always listen to audiobooks through the AUX input using a dedicated MP3 Player. The main reason is that I do not trust the infotainment system not to lose its place, and it's a giant PITA to find it again. Just have to remember to pause the player every time I get out of the car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I always listen to audiobooks through the AUX input using a dedicated MP3 Player. The main reason is that I do not trust the infotainment system not to lose its place, and it's a giant PITA to find it again. Just have to remember to pause the player every time I get out of the car.
We usually did that too, although we have taken to going ahead an using the USB interface with the dedicated iPod. Main reason for switching to USB is I was hearing a nasty high pitch audio whine through the aux. May only be my cord but rather than troubleshooting that it was easier just to switch. The main drawback is not so much losing its place (which it does not appear the infotainment system will really trigger on its own), but it does insist upon restarting the playback automatically upon starting the car which sometimes we don't want. So mostly we either unplug it or switch to FM before turning the car off. LOL

I haven't particularly noticed any advantage that comes from the extra menu item that specifically lists audiobooks even though the iPod we're using presumably works with that. We only put audiobooks on it so I guess that is why. Any music we are playing out of our phones. Not really sure why, no reason we couldn't put audiobooks on phones, but that's just how we've been doing it. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts