2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone performed ATF fluid change and filter?

I'm thinking of dropping the pan but I'm not sure if the gasket can be purchased or it has to be made with RTV of what kind.

·
Banned
842 Posts

I'm thinking of dropping the pan but I'm not sure if the gasket can be purchased or it has to be made with RTV of what kind.
ALL THE TIME :grin2:
I personally as well in the shop and our other affiliated shops one specializes in transmission in most cases use sealers instead of gaskets.

Here are the suggested sealer to use. They all work well if you read the direction for use!

Permatex US Part Number: 81180 ATX Transmission

Permatex US Part Number: 27036 Grey

Permatex US Part Number: 27037 Black

Permatex US Part Number: 80022 Blue

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts

The 6sp SkyActiv auto transmission is a sealed for life unit..:confused1 1:..service interval is 100k miles, and thats inspection, not necessarily replacement. You might want to check with your dealer about flushing as I think there was something in the service manual about not doing that...
You should be able to use Permatex 81160 High-Temp Red RTV to reseal the pan if you were to remove it, Mazda specifies a TB1217 silicone sealant or the equivalent. You'll need new pan bolts too as they are one time use only.

·
Banned
842 Posts
The 6sp SkyActiv auto transmission is a sealed for life .
If you answered YES to the first posted questioned you would have realized that you can change the fluid, and a few of us have changed fluid on stated lifetime fluid transmission (just did one recently 79k miles).
There is also information specially having to do with flushing.....Factory Service Manual also ALL Data and Indentfix.

Blackstone lab has shown that transmissions with high mileage even those that say lifetime fluid have several less desirable reports for the best and continued problem free operation.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
If you answered YES to the first posted questioned you would have realized that you can change the fluid, and a few of us have changed fluid on stated lifetime fluid transmission (just did one recently 79k miles).
There is also information specially having to do with flushing.....Factory Service Manual also ALL Data and Indentfix.

Blackstone lab has shown that transmissions with high mileage even those that say lifetime fluid have several less desirable reports for the best and continued problem free operation.
Yes the fluid is quite easily changed. Drain plug, fill plug, not too different than changing the motor oil, but that was not the question, was it?

Opening the pan on the other hand is something totally different. How to reinstall was the question that was asked.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Yes the fluid is quite easily changed. Drain plug, fill plug, not too different than changing the motor oil, but that was not the question, was it?

Opening the pan on the other hand is something totally different. How to reinstall was the question that was asked.
I think because I said to use sealer instead of a gasket most would presume the pan was removed. :laugh2:
And he did NOT ask how to reinstall the pan.

Lets look again at his one and only post on his thread again shall we.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
I think because I said to use sealer instead of a gasket most would presume the pan was removed. :laugh2:
And he did NOT ask how to reinstall the pan.
This implies a question on how to reseal the pan on assembly, nothing more. Anything else is an assumption made by you.:dunno:
Don't assume anything on the internet....... :wink2:

Anyway the question has been asked, answered and more than sufficiently derailed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.