2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 04 m6 in for a 2011 m3 and I REALLY want to try and get my ashtray back... The slot for the ashtray is apparently just a change slot now, and there is no manufacturer available part. Anyone know if I can get an old one in there or if there is a third party option that can go in there? Putting it in the cup holder is retarded, awkward, and I hate the thought of losing a cup holder or accidentally dropping ashes into my drinks. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Don't smoke in your car....problem solved. Also, you won't find too many new cars with ash trays these days.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Most new cars today don’t have an ashtray. I don’t smoke so it doesn’t really bother me. Other than a cup holder ashtray, I have no idea where you would put one. I guess you can always try to make something custom. If your custom one works and looks good, you might even be able to sell it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The compartment where the ashtray used to go (just above the shifter) is still there, it's just been neutered. Also, I shouldn't have to say this in a mature forum, but posts like "just quit smoking" or "don't smoke in your car" are not very constructive. I am just asking if anyone else has run into a solution to this inconvenience. I honestly can't believe that it's not even an option from Mazda, seems like blatant discrimination to me.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The compartment where the ashtray used to go (just above the shifter) is still there, it's just been neutered. Also, I shouldn't have to say this in a mature forum, but posts like "just quit smoking" or "don't smoke in your car" are not very constructive. I am just asking if anyone else has run into a solution to this inconvenience. I honestly can't believe that it's not even an option from Mazda, seems like blatant discrimination to me.
Its not blatent discrimination. If your 700 lbs and can't fit in the car its not discrimination. If you have 12 children its not discrimination against that neither. Nor is having to use a booster seat and leg extensions if you are a little person.

The fact is that mazda like all other manufacturers build their cars geared toward the masses. It can't possibly have everything ud possibly need for your individual lifestyle.

Why not just tap the ashes out the window like everyone else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nearly 20 percent of the population that is over the age of 18 in the US smokes. Removing a piece of equipment, and leaving a empty hole that has zero functional purpose, is ridiculous.

Sorry, I think throwing my cigarettes and ashes out the window is a horrible thing, we have enough forest fire problems as it is, not to mention it would mean trying to do that out the window while I am on the freeway.

Also, it is illegal to throw cigarettes out the window of your car.

·
Registered
987 Posts
i've never used the ashtray in any car i've ever owned. (the ones that had it, that is)...illegal to throw butts out, yes, but you can just keep an empty soda can w/a tiny bit of water in it or just be illegal. problem solved. hope that helps. btw...having evidence of it being a "smoker's car" hurts your resale. my car has no ash burns or cigarette smoke smell to it. when i trade mine in, i'm saying that it's never been smoked in.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don’t think this has anything to do with someone’s “lifestyle” choice and I don’t think that car manufacturers are somehow passively trying to get people to stop smoking. But apparently, when designing cars today, designers have felt that the ashtray is an option that could be removed. I was sort of annoyed as well when I first got my 2010 because I liked having the ashtray to place my loose change. I have never smoked so all the cars I have had throughout the years, the ashtray was converted into basically a change purse. Since there is no ashtray, I use that little tray shelf thing in the center console to hold my money. Problem solved for me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Since there is no ashtray, I use that little tray shelf thing in the center console to hold my money. Problem solved for me.
that's where i keep my smokes.i have noticed that japanese cars tend to have a place like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't smoke but I would like to put something in that ashtray spot to help hold the change. The hole is very deep and with the AT shifter in park (as if I was at a drive up window) it makes it nearly impossible to get at the change in the bottom. The car is fairly new so there is not much change in there but I would like to be able to get at whatever change there is. My old car had a nice felt holder that said "not an ashtray" on it and it raised the contents of the hole nicely so that my fingers could get at them. I wonder if getting an ashtray from a previous year/model would help myself and the OP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't smoke but I would like to put something in that ashtray spot to help hold the change. The hole is very deep and with the AT shifter in park (as if I was at a drive up window) it makes it nearly impossible to get at the change in the bottom. The car is fairly new so there is not much change in there but I would like to be able to get at whatever change there is. My old car had a nice felt holder that said "not an ashtray" on it and it raised the contents of the hole nicely so that my fingers could get at them. I wonder if getting an ashtray from a previous year/model would help myself and the OP.
I had read this in a different thread as well, not sure if it was your post, but I agree with you. That thing is WAY too big as a change holder to begin with (I use the one on the left of the wheel), you could get like $50 of change in there. You'd have to half fill it before you could comfortably get to your change, plus I have noticed that neither opening (the one on the left also) has a felt bottom, making it noisy as hell when I make a turn/hit a bump/etc.

I was gonna try and get my ashtray out of my old car and test this this morning since I was at the dealer anyway, but they were too busy and I was too tired to wait so I just left. I was thinking I might go to pick-a-part and just take a bunch of ashtrays from other cars to see if any of them fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ummm just throw your cigs on the floor! who cars i mean your whole interior gonna smell like asshole anyway. LMAO plus the value of your car will depreciate. IF not on the floor put the butts in the change hold and put the ashes out the window. If u dont wanna do that maybe you shouldnt be smokin in your car in the first place.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Maybe he's not smoking cigarettes. Wake and bake!!!! :eek:hmy 1:

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Don't they still sell those things that look like a travel mug and fit a cupholder but have a conical hole in the top for the ashes and butts ?

All the smokers on my traveling crew used them so they wouldn't have to clean out the truck ashtrays......

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Nearly 20 percent of the population that is over the age of 18 in the US smokes. Removing a piece of equipment, and leaving a empty hole that has zero functional purpose, is ridiculous.

Sorry, I think throwing my cigarettes and ashes out the window is a horrible thing, we have enough forest fire problems as it is, not to mention it would mean trying to do that out the window while I am on the freeway.

Also, it is illegal to throw cigarettes out the window of your car.

So an ashtray is functional, but a coin holder is not? Lol

Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts