2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I've been looking at the 2015 iGT hb in manual transmission but it seems like they are so few out there. I live in southern California and here are only 2 within 100 miles from where I live. Is it because they are just rolling them out?

Another question: is the mpg that big of a difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 engine? I see they're rated at 40 and 35 mpg respectively, but what are the real world stats on the freeway? Is the sT worth the extra money over the iGT?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are two things Americans just don't buy a lot of -- hatchbacks and manual transmissions. Dealerships lose an s-ton of money when they let them sit on the lots, so they don't even bother anymore. As someone who bu ys exclusively manual hatchbacks, it's frustrating, but... it is what it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you can always have it delivered to the dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can always have it delivered to the dealership.
Oh really? Do you contact the dealer for that? How does that work, do I negotiate the price with the dealer and they look around and get it for me? Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just place an order from the dealer for what you want. You'll have to wait 2-3 months and perhaps put down a refundable deposit but a good dealer won't overcharge you for an ordered vehicle.

As for the fuel consumption question, just look at the threads discussing that topic on this same subforum.

·
Registered
356 Posts
with the new trim changes, i would pass on the s touring unless you really want the 2.5L. things like the HIDs are no longer offered on the S touring, also no moonroof. so i would just go for the i GT for more features. I have the 2L with 6MT, getting 40+ mpg on my 50mile commute in the San Francisco Bay Area is easy. Tons of posts on here from 2L ppl getting over 40 on the Hwy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh really? Do you contact the dealer for that? How does that work, do I negotiate the price with the dealer and they look around and get it for me? Thanks for the reply!
yea, you work out a deal with the dealership. it might take a few days to get the vechicle depending on the type of vehicle you want and where it's located. they probably won't charge too much since they want your business. they want to make a sale, so they will work with you.

Reactions: gaspasser80

·
Registered
184 Posts
Last time I searched, only about 25%-30% were hatchback.

10-15% were manual.

Multiply those two numbers together and it's a slim picking. Out of 100 cars, you get maybe 3 hatchback+manual.

Of that combo, many are i-Touring without tech package.

Your chance of finding the exact hb+manual+trim+color in your area is literally 1 out of 1000.:ph34r:

Might be worse, because dealers like to add unwanted couple of accessories. That's how I ended up with fog lights and interior mood lights on my car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Seems they are pretty uncommon... I had to wait about almost 2 months for them to find my car and bring it in... I'm Canadian and wanted a manual 2014 Mazda 3 Sport (hatchback) GS - Jet Black Mica with Convenience Package and dealer add on of nav, alloy pedals, trunk tray, floor liners, trunk net.

They would have liked for me to take a different color, sedan, sunroof ect.. but stick your choice and wait for it to arrive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks for all the responses everyone! I contacted a dealership around here and they said that they can bring in what I am asking for. I also purchased a '14 CX-9 last month and they said that I qualify for a $500 loyalty rebate!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty rare. The closest Mazda dealer to me even said that "nobody buys manuals here in North Jersey, so we never bother with them."

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was on the lookout for a while for the 2015 sGT 6 speed hatchback, and they finally had one in the color I wanted. I would have gone with the touring trim but decided I wanted the LED headlights and tail lights.

My dealer told me that only 3 were going to be available at the dealer in my hatchback 2.5L/manual combo for the 2015 year. I Have only seen 2 others since september, one white and one black.

My combo will be pretty rare which I am very happy about!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
interesting for socal being so low in vol. unless the manuals are selling like hot cakes? =)

i just checked San Francisco bay area for 2015 models with manuals. Heres the inventory 50 miles away around SF:
- 22 iSports
- 28 iTouring
- 12 iGT
- 7 sTouring
- 13 sGT

i wouldnt say its rare here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Use the mazda website to locate your car, or use Cars.com. I found a handful of manual transmission vehicles. If you do find one be prepared to pay msrp because they are rare and dealers know this. I did however get a quote for 22k even for a iGT manual in Southern California

·
Registered
135 Posts
It probably depends on the dealer and/or region. Before I got my '15 manual sGT some of the dealers I contacted would only order one with a non-refundable deposit and little negotiation was allowed. Others were ordering them as if they expected to sell them with little issue and would negotiate like they would on any other car. My dealer fell into the latter camp. They stock a few manuals all of the time (they had 2.0 manuals, a manual Mazda 6 or two, and so on) so for them to order 2.5 manuals was nothing. They knew they'd sell them.

I got on a list for an order coming in for the exact variant I wanted and ended up getting it a month early because someone else jumped out of line on an identical model. I didn't have to leave a deposit to get on the order/wait list. And we negotiated a fair price.

My dealer made the right call it seems. When I came in to make the purchase they informed me several other dealers were calling trying to dealer trade for it. There's decent demand for the 2.5 manuals. Guess those dealers should have read the market better and stopped treating these things like they'd be poison on their lot for months.

So while many people turn their nose up at manual transmissions these days, a good dealer will be able to get you what you want. They manuals are only 'rare' when you talk to a dealer that doesn't want to deal with obtaining them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It probably depends on the dealer and/or region. Before I got my '15 manual sGT some of the dealers I contacted would only order one with a non-refundable deposit and little negotiation was allowed. Others were ordering them as if they expected to sell them with little issue and would negotiate like they would on any other car. My dealer fell into the latter camp. They stock a few manuals all of the time (they had 2.0 manuals, a manual Mazda 6 or two, and so on) so for them to order 2.5 manuals was nothing. They knew they'd sell them.

I got on a list for an order coming in for the exact variant I wanted and ended up getting it a month early because someone else jumped out of line on an identical model. I didn't have to leave a deposit to get on the order/wait list. And we negotiated a fair price.

My dealer made the right call it seems. When I came in to make the purchase they informed me several other dealers were calling trying to dealer trade for it. There's decent demand for the 2.5 manuals. Guess those dealers should have read the market better and stopped treating these things like they'd be poison on their lot for months.

So while many people turn their nose up at manual transmissions these days, a good dealer will be able to get you what you want. They manuals are only 'rare' when you talk to a dealer that doesn't want to deal with obtaining them.
This is what happened with me and my sGT with tech as well. I ordered my vehicle, dealer gave me the same price as another one that was already on the lot (but had the almond interior I didn't want), and didn't ask for a deposit, stating "I'd be able to sell it anyway". When my car came in, they got a handful of dealers asking to trade but his response to them was "sorry, it's a sold order".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, I'm new here too. I picked up a 2015 S GT manual about a month ago. Had to visit a dealer 60 miles away in Denver to find one with a manual. Originally had planned on just test driving the one in stock because I really wanted white ... but I REALLY liked the Blue Reflex Mica/Almond combo. The car has been great.

As far as gas mileage, I think that depends a lot on how you drive. I recently took a highway trip up to DIA (76 miles) and the mileage computer on the car called it at just over 41 mpg. My real world calculations (odo/fill gallons) over 5 tanks of gas has me at 36.5 mpg ... that's about 60/40 state hwy to city driving. But I drive it pretty easy and only push it past 5k rpm a couple times a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, I'm new here too. I picked up a 2015 S GT manual about a month ago. Had to visit a dealer 60 miles away in Denver to find one with a manual. Originally had planned on just test driving the one in stock because I really wanted white ... but I REALLY liked the Blue Reflex Mica/Almond combo. The car has been great.

As far as gas mileage, I think that depends a lot on how you drive. I recently took a highway trip up to DIA (76 miles) and the mileage computer on the car called it at just over 41 mpg. My real world calculations (odo/fill gallons) over 5 tanks of gas has me at 36.5 mpg ... that's about 60/40 state hwy to city driving. But I drive it pretty easy and only push it past 5k rpm a couple times a week.
Nice! Thanks for the input! Looks like the sGT still gets pretty good gas mileage with the bigger engine. I might have to look into the 2.5L a little bit more...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts