2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This questions is primarily directed towards those with vehicles outside Canada and the US....

The last few days, I've learned that not all bi-xenon headlamps are created equal. Coming from European cars, I've become used to high beams that make rural driving at higher speeds easy and less-stressful since I can pretty much see everything on the road (and in the woods), allowing for faster reaction times.

The last couple days, I've come to realise the high-beam performance on my new Mazda 3 isn't nearly as good. When the high beam comes on, it adds about 30% extra height and not that much power, so by the time I approach 80-100km/h I fear I am "overdriving" them. Realistically I can probably see only 150m to "maybe" 200m......not comforting when covering 30 m/s considering reaction and braking times! Combined with the adaptive light control that doesn't swivel the headlamps quite fast enough, driving at night isn't as easy as it used to be.

The low/dipped beams are absolutely fine. I know ECE specs permit more powerful high beams, so for those outside the US and Canada, how do your high beams stack up?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would assume there's not a power boost in BiX headlights as the ballast would have to be running lower then spike up for a high beam output. Chances are the Highs of the BiX are just better than ours in the States/Canada.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So back at my parents' this weekend, I had a chance to compare and my gripes about the poor high-beam performance are right. My dad's Tiguan has stock halogen high beams that are brighter than my Mazda's xenon high beams. Sheesh, weak sauce!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts