2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody install just the front and sides of the oem appearance kit. I'm curious how it would look. I need a hitch for carrying bikes, so the rear won't work for me.

Just wondering...any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I think what you are considering would not only look good, but most importantly meet your bike rack needs.

Do not know what color you have, and in advance of someone else posting picture of their car with exactly what you are envisioning, thanks to an excellent picture of his car @Skagerstrom (which of course I "rear-end edited,"), this could help you get an initial mental picture of what you are thinking about.

Kudos to Roger Skagerstrom for his car looks great even with is rear roof spoiler and lower rear fascia not being visible.

And should you also wish, you could additionally add in the "rear roof spoiler" (don't believe that would conflict with carrying a bike). This picture, also with thanks and credit to Skagerstrom, is how your car might look if you choose to add it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You're not missing much on a sedan since there is less area that would be affected. On a hatch I would be more apt to get one because it does change it quite a bit.
You may be able to find a compromise and still make it work if you're willing to do some DIY.

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I like your thinking @DMshadow, that perhaps with a little dremel action (maybe some actual cutting required?), a bike hitch and the Appearance Package's rear bumper skirt (or the rear bumper skirt bought separately from the dealer) could hopefully work together.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
On the hatch it'll look incomplete and will sort of make it look like the ass is sticking up.

Here's a pic of just front and side skirts, not OEM aero kit but kinda gives you an idea.

I was going to just settle with the sides and front since I couldn't find anything good for the rear. It bugged me enough to spending more $$$ just to finish it off with the rear lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll be getting a 2.5 Touring manual hatch in soul red ...should be here 3rd week in January.

I'll likely get the Forklift Ecohitch for carrying bikes. I have not seen the appearance package in person. I also was wondering if some creative dremmeling could be done to accommodate the hitch.

Either way, I think I'll be waiting for a little while on the 2017 oem kit...my dealership says they aren't available yet, but they should be soon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll be getting a 2.5 Touring manual hatch in soul red ...should be here 3rd week in January.

I'll likely get the Forklift Ecohitch for carrying bikes. I have not seen the appearance package in person. I also was wondering if some creative dremmeling could be done to accommodate the hitch.

Either way, I think I'll be waiting for a little while on the 2017 oem kit...my dealership says they aren't available yet, but they should be soon.

I would imagine if you made the cutout exact/ put rubber trim around a slightly larger opening it would look just fine.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is exactly what I'm going to be doing as soon as I can find the cheaper aftermarkets for the 2017. I have a custom center out exhaust in the back so no rear diffuser for me. I was thinking of just painting the rear oem black area gloss black to match the skirts/lip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts